View Single Post
Old 29th November 2005, 05:03 PM   #10
nechesh

I've watched this sellers keris auctions for some time now. I have yet to be impressed by his items or his stories.
IMHO this is a fairly new ensemble all around, manufactured to sell to well off western clientle. The blade isn't terrible, the pamor work looks fairly descent, but i am not the least bit impressed with the carving of the ganesha, which looks rough and not very well defined. As for his stories about it's origins and the notches placed there by the "warrior priest" for each battle he fought in.....well, decide for yourself.
I have seen these sheaths before and have seen nicer (John's is a good example). I whale is a great beasty and i would think that some of it's bone, though porous, would be fairly substantial for carving. The pendok looks a little shady here in that, in the photos at least, the materials don't look like real gold or silver and the reprousse looks cheap to my eyes.
The hilt is the only part of this ensemble i find truly interesting. It looks to be a beautiful and unique bit of carving.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote