Thread: Souks of Oman
View Single Post
Old 14th July 2014, 09:34 AM   #25
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchleaf
I appreciate your hard work on this thread. One possible improvement, from the perspective of educating the reader, would be to label the photos to explain which show authentic items. For example, are the daggers in this shot recently made and "antiqued?"

Good question which I think masks another...How to tell a real Khanjar / Jambia from a tourist item?..no? Firstly these daggers are in an Omani Souk but they are all Jambias from Sanaa in Yemen ...probably via Salalah... I doubt if they are expensive and I imagine they are somewhat tourist aimed..Muttrah Souk gets thousands of tourists so someone is sure to take one... Thats how souks work...look more closely and find where the real stuff is sitting... often behind the counter of the owner... thats where to strike a decent purchase...I mean you have to be aware all the time in souks... In arabia generally they will tell you what you want to hear... Is this old door very old... Yes 3 thousand years it belonged to my Uncle!! etc etc You have to know your stuff.

Its great fun though !!!

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote