View Single Post
Old 26th March 2014, 01:00 AM   #1
Protector

Default Soloman Island Club, opinion 2?

Greetings! First post from a long time lurker/learner.

I picked up this club at a garage sale here in the Pacific Northwest. The story is that it was inherited from the proverbial south seas merchant sailing 'Uncle'. There was also a short Filipino Kris and what I believe is a Sumatran knife from the same Uncle, that I also purchased. The niece selling them had no idea where they came from and no records of the Uncle's travels, but said she believed he sailed in that area from the late 50's to the late 70's.

The club looks very much like some of the clubs in VANDOO's previous thread on Solomon Island clubs. The club is 15 1/2 inches long, with a head width of 5 1/2 inches. It weighs approx. 2.5 pounds. It has what my amateur eye says is a good patina and shows some age. There are some type of shell inlays on the knob projections and in the center of the top. A couple of these are damaged, unknown whether from actual use or just banging around in the Uncle's trunk for years. I am also an FMA instructor and the club has a much better balance when being used than I would have thought from the shape and weight. Any opinions or comments are appreciated.

P.S. This is an awesome sight that has taught me a lot and I hope to share some more of my "What is it?" acquisitions.
Attached Images

Protector is offline   Reply With Quote