The first ca. 1375-1400
, sold Christie's Rome, June 18, 1975.
A so-called Steinbüchse
, wrought of wound band iron (cf. the Aljubarrota barrels) but of more archaic form, with small breech (Pulverkammer) and wider forword piece (Flug) to receive either an incendiary arrow (Büchsen-Brandpfeil
) or a limestone ball.
Overall length 23 cm.
Originally probably attached to a stock by two iron bands.
Its present whereabouts unknown.
Another, important and finely wrought Steinbüchse
for throwing limestone balls or incendiary arrows, also ca. 1375-1400
, segmented, with various reinforced sections, round throughout, large touch hole at rear top end, the breech and a reinforced segment punched with Gothic trefoils and a row of circles, the wide muzzle section struck on top with the Cross of St. George, which might be an indication of a Swiss origin.
Mounted with a swiveling ring for suspension, possibly for a horseman of the kind depicted in a mid-15th c. drawing (attached).
Overall length 34.2 cm.
Sold Sotheby's London, 8 Dec 1988, lot 276.