View Single Post
Old 4th January 2014, 01:42 AM   #36
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Nice riposte David! and again thank you for elaborating in expressing your opinions. Surprisingly it does not seem that we are that far apart in our perceptions regarding this item as you have noted that no deception is intended in these artistic interpretations of the piha kaetta by French artisans. You also reflect accord in noting that even these artistic pieces certainly do have merit to some in the collecting fraternity much as shown in the miniature weapons instance.
It seems you agree that it is indeed a matter of personal preference, though you are baffled by the responses of a number of our members to items you clearly do not favor and quite disdain.

When this thread was brought up by Antique Arms who thoughtfully shared additional data concerning this interesting item, I was personally most pleased, not necessarily toward the topic but to see participation and follow up by a new member. In reading the material I found it most intriguing and it frankly piqued my interest in a subject I had not previously followed.

While I must admit to never having any particular interest in the keris, I have never been 'baffled' by the interest of others in them. In point of fact, I admire those who have pursued the study of them and maintain the proper respect and understanding of them. Again, in my perception, it is to each his own, and I strongly support the efforts and participation of everyone in their own fields of collecting and studies. These pages are for sharing data and interests

By the same token I applaud your defense of the cultural importance of the keris and the piha kaettta, however I don't believe that aspect of these cultural icons have been compromised in any of the observations or comments here. The comments on the pamor of the keris and their collectability for the woods etc. were in my opinion carefully qualified as toward 'technological' properties in regard to comparison of ethnographic items as 'weapons', so apparently the legitimacy of the keris was not being questioned, but the analogy was clearly a fragile one.

Returning to the origin of this discussion, I would like to thank Antique Arms once again for your excellent participation in posting this data, and join the others in observing the fine craftsmanship of this French tribute to that of the Ceylonese artisans and culture.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote