View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2014, 02:04 AM   #32
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Javanese kermises lost their fighting function long ago, with the exception of rare cases of domestic violence, for which purpose the French Piha would also do swimmingly. Still, there are people who collect kermises for their technologically useless pamor patterns, exotic wood, carvings etc.
Ariel, i am afraid that there is a rather large hole in your understanding of keris if you consider pamor patterns "useless" and if you have no grasp of the spiritual importance of the exotic woods that are often employed in keris dress. The cultural significance of these things are huge, pamor patterns are not merely artistic designs for art's sake alone but carry deep significance and purpose. That for me is a large part of the difference here between these french "art" Pihas and the real thing. It is devoid of cultural significance and is merely a "pretty" object.
I might also suggest that while Pihas are certainly not combat weapons they are a bit too extravagant to be considered simple utility knives. Certainly there is some ritual application involved here, no? These knives have a rather complex construction and often involve the use of somewhat precious materials such as ivory, silver and gold. Most utility knives are a bit simpler.
David is offline   Reply With Quote