View Single Post
Old 18th September 2013, 04:10 PM   #7
kronckew

which of course brings to mind the other myth.

the other forces were always asking the gurkhas to show them their khukuris and wanting to handle them, so one bright nepali came up with the idea that telling them that they could not draw the blade unless it drank blood would put them off asking, which notion became gospel worldwide forever after.

i still hear that constantly when showing off mine. most people of course do not believe the truth and swear that all gurkhas have to cut themselves before sheathing the blade if they haven't killed something, and that i should too.

contrary to 'what everybody knows', the nepalis who use these in their daily lives are not foolish and do not cut themselves a few times every day when out cutting wood, etc...

they are also not going to throw a perfectly good weapon away unless they are really desperate and have no other choice, and are quite happy to hit the enemy from quite a few hundred meters away with a modern firearm, or artillery,rockets, close air support, etc. rather than a khukuri charge. tho they do always seem to get into situations where they use them to great effect. the ghurkha on the train recently comes to mind.

LINKY for those who are not familiar with his story

Last edited by kronckew; 18th September 2013 at 04:21 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote