View Single Post
Old 23rd October 2005, 07:22 PM   #7
tom hyle

Numbers of high quality blades and numbers of low quality blades are made in India. The mark means little or nothing in this regard. No more does Mexico, USA, Germany, England, Spain, or anywhere else; no monopoly on junk. But junk according to who? Antique collectors often speak in the sneeringest terms of anything new (sometimes even newly repaired), whereas a martial artist might praise a new spring-tempered windlass shortsword and sneer at an older one (which are mostly quite soft), and a traditionalist might not care how old a thing is if it's made properly; a craftsman might not care if it's made properly if it's made well. Swords appeal in many different markets for many different reasons. Windlass in particular tends to make better short than longswords, to have good temper and poor balance (too heavy in the tip, but OK if you don't mind doing some major regrinding); and they tend to be the "gold standard" of using quality Hindoo steel in USA. There is folded steel, and even wootz from some modern Hindoo cutlers, but I cannot speak to their temper; wootz isn't even suposed to have temper in the usual sense, is my understanding (ie. according to Moltenmuse).
In general I'd say I more address a sword as a sword than for what may be written on it or where it's from....
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote