View Single Post
Old 8th April 2013, 12:53 AM   #4
Edster

Flavio,

Interesting inquiry, although I have only found small fragments myself. Others will not doubt have a wider experience. Hope you can flush out some good info since the technical processes employed greatly influence the product.

As I recall Sir Stanley Baker writing of his travels in Sudan circa. late 1850s mentions local smithing in the borderlands between Sudan and Abassina (sic) in a section on the Hamram Elephant Hunters He also mentions an Italian blacksmith who worked in the area at that time. I wondered how he may have gotten there although Italian colonialism was active in the area for decades. I recall a photograph in a later work, perhaps in "Sudan Notes and Records", that showed a native smelter in the same area.

I would think that their technique and process would be similar to that I report in my Kassala sword paper. Some photos there as well. Three man crew: Goat skin bellows operator to keep the temp up, master smith taps blade where he wants it hit and a hitter giving the spot a good whack. Process repeats continuously and rapidly until correct balde shape is achieved. Great interpersonal coordination between these two. All this takes place with all three sitting before a small circular anvil and the heating coal fire. Must be cultural but in my experience African and Iranian craftsmen usually sit and European smiths stand.

Take care,
Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote