View Single Post
Old 27th January 2013, 03:20 PM   #20
Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Koch
Thank you so much Maurice - your mind is like a golden archive of all things Borneo! I am so thrilled to finally see a pic with a BB in situ, just fantastic!
You're welcome Thor. At the end we all have the same interests and it's good sharing some knowledge/images to collectors like you who appreciate it!
Hopefully we will find more pictures or drawings of some warriors carrying a BB, but I think it will be a hard one to find.
As BB's are enough to be found in private collections and museum collections, and only this one image I've found on it on an old postcard, I think they all have been used in times when they didn't use camera's to make photographs. And when they had, these BB's were out of fashion allready.

That would make to ask another question to the rye!!!: Till when where they produced? Did they stop at the end of the Banjarmasinwar making these BB's?
I think they did, as we don't find any photographs besides the one I posted.....

Quote:
The first one with the all-bronze hilt is just spectacular. The one I have at home is with a similar blade profile, although not executed with nearly as much attention to detail. Everything is so sharp and crisp on the one you show and it just excudes "QUALITY"!
Don't forget they were made for warfare, and need to be used for that purpose. As a few exceptions they aren't that "fancy" and that makes me wonder if they were only made to fulfill what they made for: Slashing the "Dutch" enemy in the Banjarmasin war....

PS can you post an image of your BB?

Quote:
Gustav , thank you very much for those references. From your quote it certainly seems as if Banjarmasin was a busy hub teeming with forge-work around this time. I will see if I can dust up the original articles - maybe they're accessible on KITLV, somewhere.
Yes it was a good thing for Gustav mentioning these original articles.
I will forward you the article of Hendriks by pdf, but I don't know if you can read it, as it's in Dutch unfortunately...

Maurice
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote