View Single Post
Old 22nd January 2013, 02:54 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Fernando, you are far too modest, actually your assessments and observations are of course always soundly placed, and I very much like your wording in noting the rural ambience on these stirrups. I agree that the Stone caption suggests the German provenance somewhat questionable, and offers little support for my speculation, but I thought I would add it anyway for the sake of outward thinking.
I still hold to the idea that these footplates are compellingly similar to ranch and cattle brands and logos.

Cerjak, outstanding comparison you have found with the Georgian pair of stirrups! and reflects that sort of neoclassicism indeed. As you have noted these seem in remarkable condition, but traditional forms extended use far beyond changes in the regular military units in the yeomanry regiments.
I would note here that my original suggestion of influence on 'western' trappings from German sources could equally apply to English instances.
England was a prolific supplier of goods in addition to the obvious cultural influences to America. It is interesting that even the majority of 'Bowie' knives in the 19th century were Sheffield produced, as were many guns and other items which were prevalent in the 'wild west'.

I just wanted to thank you guys for the very kind responses, especially in the personal recognition toward my observations. It is apparantly a waning courtesy in altogether too many instances on other venues, and as I admit to being a bit old fashioned, it is very much appreciated. I will see if I can get a scan of the Stone image pending some technical difficulties with scanning here.

All the very best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote