View Single Post
Old 13th September 2005, 03:16 PM   #26
tagalanao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunjer
thanks for the pics!!! love that sarimanok! just wondering tho; did you take those pictures of moro weapons inside the museum? if so do you have close-ups of those sandatas. would be nice if you can post them as well .
I can't take good closeups coz there's separating me and the blades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunjer
as you can see, the majority of us can just dream of being there. maybe the next time i'm there we can hook up? once again, i truly appreciate you finally becoming a member of this forum.

also, thanks for that little bit of history...
Yeah, sure! Whoever comes here and wants to go to Marawi / Tugaya, I can show you around. As long as you're adventurous and willing to take some risks.

If you open Cato's book, I personally know some of the people mentioned in the Preface. Jam Maridul is a Tausug who studied at the Mindanao State University in Marawi at the same time I was in college at MSU's Iligan campus. Cesar Padilla is publisher of the Mindanao Scoop, a weekly paper in Iligan that I edited from 1998-2003. Al Quirante, I accompanied him in coverages to Marawi when I was starting out in journalism in the late '80s fresh from college. He taught in Marawi in the 60s and 70s, I think, and thus fluent in the Maranao dialect.

Maybe if I were here in Iligan when Cato visited Lanao, I may be in his Preface, too. I started as a journalist here in Lanao in '87 until '92, then moved to Manila to write for a daily paper (if you heard about the Philippine Daily Inquirer) and to be with my wife, who was taking her residency and fellowship at a hospital in Manila. We came home in '97, and I resumed covering Lanao.

BobT
tagalanao is offline   Reply With Quote