View Single Post
Old 13th February 2012, 06:08 PM   #9
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer
Great info, thank you all. Thinking back some books on Indian weapons do include this type of Jambiya. Always, thought that curious. I thought this had some age due wear and damage to it, but, it may well be touristy. The Indian silver work is impressive. A few years back I had This one it also had a fully covered hilt and a bonus side knife.

Salaams archer, Khanjar is an interesting word; It is an Arab word, not Indian, thus the theory is that the Indian Khanjar developed from that rather than the other way round. Jambiyya on the other hand is not used in Oman and I have no idea of the words origin except to hazzard a guess at Himyaritic. (ancient Yemeni)
It has been suggested in a museum reference that the Indian Khanjar came into being in about the 16th Century. Omans is far older.
It is thus important to separate the descriptions (Omani and Yemeni and Indian) as they have very different designs though each has a curved blade etc.. and they are probably distant relatives...however by definition you just cannot have an Omani Jambiyya...
I think Search contains some detail also on work knives.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote