View Single Post
Old 17th August 2005, 03:44 AM   #21
Mark

Default Armor in Thailand

Here is the catalogue picture, which as I recall RSword sent me. My mind is fried right now, so I apologize if I have that wrong. I just want to give credit where it is due. It is Thai, not Burmese as I first said (such a mind I have ...)

The captions read:
"19: (6356) War Coat; made of cotton printed all over with designs in red, blue and yellow, large grotesque faces on back and front; inside lined with coarser blue cloth."
"20 (6355) War Hat; bell shaped, of moulded buffalo hide, painted red and ornamented with designs in gold leaf on outer surface; surmounted with a gilt wood boss. Diamer 13 3/4 inches. Height 8 inches. Top of crown broken slightly also a crack in rim."

You can't see it very well, but this Thai gentleman is wearing a war hat:

Other stuff I found:
Egerton, "An Illustrated Handbook of Indian Arms and Those of Nepal, Burma, Thailand and Malaya" (1880):
-Egerton makes reference to the Burmese general Bandula wearing "armor" during the First Anglo-Burmese War (1982) (p. 93, footnote 1), which he describes as "mixed plate and quilted, resembling central Indian work." P.95, note 259. He notes that a very similar suit was worn by Sikh chiefs at the Mogul court in the lat 17th C, implying that it was in fact Indian and not native armor.
-Egerton also mentions lacquered leather helmets/hats and shields used in Burma and among the hill tribes of Burma and NE India. What Egerton shows as a Khampti Shan helmet from Assam bears a remarkable similarity to what this chap is wearing:

OK, not exactly historical art, but its a traditional Burmese marionette (he's not wearing armor, but he only has one sword!).
-Egerton also illustrates (p. 95, fig. 22) a Burmese double sword consisting of two straight blades with long handles, the blade of one being inserted into the handle of the other so that the while looks like a staff, but when pulled at the ends one gets a sword in each hand.
-Egerton states that "coats of mail are still used by the [Malay] natives of Celebes"

Stone's "Glossary": Fig. 82 shows Malayan armor of hide, heavy cord, and cloth with bark scales; fig. 83 shows mail-and-plate Moro armor

Last edited by Mark Bowditch; 17th August 2005 at 04:01 AM.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote