View Single Post
Old 11th January 2012, 03:44 AM   #206
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams freebooter is there a stamp on the blade?

This is the classic old Omani stiff pointed short sword...Sayf..Tied to the origin of species at 751 AD and rolling on for over 1000 years. Local name for the Omani Short ... Sayf Yamani.

The forerunner to the flexible sword. Both called Sayf and both using the Terrs shield.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Note; I have two like this with no stamp. I suspect Yemen as the manufacturing base or Nizwa... Investigating the latter now. The 3 holes in the hilt for securing the hilt to a wooden core whilst the 3rd near the octagonal pommel for a wriststrap. See my comparison on this thread to the Abassid weapon.
Dear Ibrahiim, I have simply provided the images from a previous link posted...the sword is I believe Ariels

There sabre version of the Oman sword has been discussed as perhaps being influenced by EU and Caucasian blades.
Was silverwork on these sabres also "perhaps" influenced through this trade? I ask as I have a fine Omani sabre with the correct "native" blade that has silverwork in the style of, although not executed as well as Dagestan silver work found on some Shashka.

Thanks for a wonderful and sometimes mindblowing in depth discussion.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote