View Single Post
Old 17th November 2011, 11:20 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I think that Stan has already acknowledged this is a 20th century piece, and was trying to determine which region or form of janbiyya which may have influenced or determined the prototype. I think that in many cases of modern items dismissed as 'tourist items' they can also in many cases be elements of native traditional costume which though not actually intended as 'weapons' may still be worn. Obviously huge numbers of items are made intended to be sold as souveniers, but some which give extra attention to traditional detail could plausibly be used as I suggest.
Clearly my suggestion will be hotly contested by many collectors, but I think it is a circumstance which certainly may exist. In many cases I think that native people often wear such items knowing they will likely be purchased by 'tourists' upon which they gladly sell it, then repurchase new 'stock'.
In this manner, still represent the weapons of the region.

Stan, thank you for your keen attention and concern for posting protocol and the courteous manner in which you attend to these matters. Your awareness of necessary perameters is very much appreciated. Nicely done!

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote