View Single Post
Old 17th November 2011, 08:08 PM   #1
Stan S.

Default Jambiya for Identification

This is still hot off eBay (I don’t think that I am prohibited form posting an item that finished on eBay with me being the auction winner, or am I?) and was being sold as an Indian Jambiya. Somehow I am not so sure due to a wide blade with a central ridge, which reminds me of North African Jambiyas. Then again, there is a well pronounced ricasso, and that points in the direction of India/Persia. And ofcourse the floral motive in decoration - I happen to have a 17" Indian Dhal in my collection with almost identical engraving of multi-colored flowers (will post a picture soon for comparisent). Based on the style of scabbard (i. e. belt loops) and what appears to be nickel plating on the hilt, I would venture a guess that this piece is of an early 20th century manufacture. However, I am very much open to all opinions. I especially want to get a confirmation of the origin of this dagger and hope that one of the experts here can point me in the right direction.

Please keep in mind that the pictures I am uploading were taken by the seller, as I am yet to receive this item.
Attached Images

Stan S. is offline   Reply With Quote