View Single Post
Old 3rd November 2011, 09:48 AM   #141
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams, Forum.
It has slowly dawned upon me that a reference book library (non commercially structured) would be an ideal servant to our needs.. To illustrate this point I add this book below as an example which would probably save a lot of time getting to the heart of Islamic Swords in the period we are debating. Indeed a book library of some description will be the subject in its own right of a new thread, however, I wanted to bring on the discussion with this relevant sampler;

Al-suyuf al-Islamiyya. [=Islamic swords and swordsmiths]. Pref. by Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu
YUCEL, UNSAL
Bookseller: BOSPHORUS BOOKS (Istanbul, -, Turkey)

Book Description: Istanbul: IRCICA, 1988., 1988. CD-ROM copy. In Arabic. Catalog describing 114 swords kept in the Topkapi Seraglio Museum and the Military Museum in Istanbul. These swords were used between the first and tenth centuries Hijra (7th - 16th centuries A.D.) Part I is related to the blessed swords of the Prophet, the four khalifas and companions of the Prophet. Part II examines the characteristics of Islamic swords and the development of their form: the analysis is based on 92 swords used in different periods. Part III is devoted to Muslim swordsmiths. Index of swords and bibliography included. Fine. Bookseller Inventory # 36526

Naturally many excellent books on a variety of Forum topics are available ~ somewhere ~ but a forum book list library of reccommended publications would be ideal. Perhaps in the form of a sticky.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote