View Single Post
Old 31st October 2011, 07:59 PM   #126
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Salam Alaikum,

First, I do not think that the european industrial blade argument is dismantled in your answer. Your answer does not really answers the question actually.

It must be noted that the majority of european trade blades do not come from england, rather they come from Almajar (Hungary) or Germany. As far as I know, Germany imported steel from Sweden and there wasnt really any issue there. Your answer however, focuses on England which blade's are rare here (wilkinson blades being mostly sold to ethiopia but those are easy to tell apart from other blades)

What I find interesting in the Kattara is that it stayed landlocked in Oman and what is now the UAE... why was this form not adopted by other arabs? even though they were connected tribally (Bani Kaab tribe being the most obvious, as it exist in alBasra, Kuwait, AlAhwaz, Qatar and Oman/UAE) Why was the Badawi/syrian hilt style become dominant? keep in mind that there are straight blades with badawi hilt, they are called Garda.

Now to my opinion regarding your quest, I think its very good and respect worthy, but as an advice, when it comes to weapons and other important goods, forget about what might seem as religious barriers :-)
Salaams,

If you have a look at my letter you will see that I have questioned the 17th C European Trade Blade since assuming these blades were produced on mass in the Industrial Revolution they cannot have been made before a certain date. 17th C is far too early. (German invention and British went on at about the same pace whilst in India the Industrial Revolution did not arrive until the early 20th C.) That in no way rules out early foreign cottage industry production except they would have been a lot more expensive.

Having said that I am looking for local production in areas like Salalah and Nizwa but I have an open door on other regions. It is entirely possible that European Trade Blades entered Oman before 1821(Frazer Hormuz) Local blades could have been produced in tandem. It may also transpire as myth. ~ I need to see it proven.

My analysis of The Funoon and The Razha and Ibathi Islamic historical facts are practically the only reference to religion in fathoming out this weapons provenance and without it we would all still be in the dark regarding the Omani Kattara. Politics and Religion are used only in a purely historical sense after all History would be a very thin pamphlet without the driving force of either.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote