View Single Post
Old 31st October 2011, 03:31 AM   #123
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Hey Jim,

You are correct, the "Magyar" blades were mainly sabers. They can be told apart from other european blades due to their decoration.

I could have used a better description to why I considered the Kattara a landlocked type. What I ment is that while it did spread into Zanzibar (was Omani territory anyways) it did not spread in Arabia, which its people favoured the shamshir oriented Badawi style. Keep in mind that Omani's lived in as far as Kuwait for God knows how far in time but the sword style was never adopted. The Omani Khanjar though was adopted quickly as a sign of prestige :-)

I need to start hunting for heirloom pictures... For example, a friend of mine who's from Omani origin has a Khanjar of super quality, think its made of gold . it belonged to his late grandfather. Almost all families here have a heirloom here and there...
I think now we're on the same page You're right, the broadsword type did not gain favor throughout the rest of the Peninsula, except that in the Hadhramaut and Yemen the straight blade sa'if, actually pallasche became quite well established. These were single edged backswords, often with false edge, but of course far from the doubled edged kattara.

The heirloom pictures would be great!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote