View Single Post
Old 8th April 2011, 10:42 AM   #11
ThePepperSkull

I've got a Ginunting on the way from the same middleman as you, Dimasalang. I'm still not sure whether or not I regret paying as much for it though.

I bought three blades from Nene Tortal's smiths for the same price as Top Prado's one ginunting so I guess I'll have to wait till it gets here to see whether or not it was worth it.

For me, the prospect of getting the same model of ginunting that the Marines use (wooden sheath, non parkerized blade, just like the marines have) is very enticing to me from an ethnographic and historical standpoint, which makes this purchase stand out in particular when compared to other modern blade purchases. (As I was told, the only difference between these blades and actual military issued ginunting are that the ones offered to us in this particular run are not numerically stamped. Also from what I have gathered, most Marines apparently prefer the 15-inch blade length for jungle carry. I opted for a longer 19 inch blade)

A very exciting prospect to own something like this, especially since I exclusively collect pieces that are modern made now ('modern made' being from the 90's onward in terms of my collection).

Also, on a slightly related note...

Speaking with the middleman as well, there was (only in passing, mind you) mention of possibly more runs of these blades available to the public. I hope this includes blades with the long s-guard that Sgt Prado in particular seems so fond of using (as I gather from the many pictures of him using one during lessons/seminars):

Also, RE: Typhoon Gear, they actually did have a new website up and running under the new company name of Typhoon Blades, but as of this post the website is down yet again.

Last edited by ThePepperSkull; 8th April 2011 at 11:09 AM.
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote