View Single Post
Old 21st March 2011, 04:43 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Carl, Im glad the information was helpful, and wanted to thank you for the personal response, it is indeed very kindly appreciated. Also, thank you for the opportunity to learn from this sword and for sharing the research you have already completed, another extremely appreciated courtesy which is the core of what this forum is supposed to be.

The book Junker referenced with 'marks register' is actually the same reference I had indicated but that I miscited the author as Laking, when actually it is Sir James Mann. It is the two volume set of "Wallace Collection Catalogues: European Arms & Armour" , Sir James Mann (London, Wm.Clowes and Sons, 1962). These volumes are outstanding and often used references which is why they are often mentioned in discussion complacently as 'Wallace Collection' much as is the venerable volume by George Cameron Stone.

It was Sir James Mann who used the term 'twig marks' regarding these curious pronged marks in this book. It would seem these occur in a number of variations, as well as multiple configurations on North Italian blades from 16th-17th century, I believe even earlier. As I mentioned, these were so widely used in variation, it is hard to say exactly what they represented, but may be presumed to have guild compliance in the sense of probably quality guarantee. As such they defy distinct association to particular makers, but it does seem it might be possible to identify certain variations to one or a group of makers, though this has not been accomplished as far as I know.

For makers marks, the Wallace Collection book is probably one of the best as the late Sir James Mann was extremely highly respected for his attention to detail in the study of arms and armour, and his attention in text to the marks is quite a milestone. Other references such as Gyngell, Lenciewicz et al, are more compendiums of marks with no detail or text and often arbitrary attributions.

Im really glad you have joined us, and thank you for sharing this very nice example!!!
Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote