View Single Post
Old 21st March 2011, 06:49 AM   #5
Carl M

Junker,

Where did you get that book" I have been looking for a good makers mark reference book. I would have to agree with Jim that the markings are different.

Jim,

Thank you for your input, that is very helpful. I was told the sword was Italian by the guy I bought it from. The seller also claimed that the guy he bought it from got it as a deaccession from the metropolitan museum many years ago for whatever that is worth.

The research I have done on this sword indeed says that those marks are called "twig marks" but no firther information is found. I did find one exact match in of that twig mark in a French arms and armor book from the 1980's. The matching sword that has the mark in the book is listed as Italian from about 1580. The sword with the mark is a "case of rapiers," or more specifically a sword that splits in half to become two swords.

When you mention "Wallace Collection (Laking, 1962)," are you referring to specific book? I am wondering if the pommel marks can me arsenal marks.

Freebooter,

That pic was taken on a table in the antique shop I bought it from. The pic makes it look worse. I always handle with gloves. However, I have heard varying opinions on renaissance wax, and Butcher's bowling alley way (which they use at the Higgins). One British conservator on a Conservitors mailing list said that research has shown Butcher's wax to cause corrosion over time. I have used mineral oil in the past to lightly wipe down my blades, and I have never seen any rust. What is the consensus on here regarding Renaissance wax?
Carl M is offline   Reply With Quote