View Single Post
Old 6th March 2011, 12:14 PM   #13
A. G. Maisey

Amuk Murugal, some hours ago I responded to your post # 11.

I had read your post, given it very little thought, simply accepted it as your honest statement of how you saw the matter, and responded as I felt, which was that you had a tremendous advantage over myself because of your great gift for being able to access in an instinctive way, knowledge that is not freely available. As you have told us, you have not needed to carry out any research, you simply know things, and can access that knowledge "accumulated by successive generations" without any effort on your part.

This does not surprise me, I accept that there are some people who have the gift of communion with those who have passed away in previous times, and who can access knowledge both exoteric and esoteric, more or less at the drop of a hat.This gift you have is indeed a great and wondrous one, as the knowledge which you can so freely access is the heritage of a culture that is neither your own, since you were not born in Indonesia, nor of the culture of which you seem to be a part, that of Sunda. I do not doubt for a moment your gift, as I am well aware that there are people who are gifted in this manner.

However, and here is my problem, since I wrote my post # 12 I have received several emails which have expressed disappointment in my response to you because of my failure to raise with you your , and I quote :-

"--- insulting remarks directed at both you and your highly respected teacher, Empu Suparman Supawijaya (alm.) ---".

The "you" in this quote is of course directed at me.

Amuk Murugal, I took no umbrage at your remarks, if anything, I interpreted those remarks as slightly complimentary, however, it does seem that your remarks have upset some people. The specific remark to which these people took exception is:-

"Ah yes, Suparman, the Los Indios Tabajaras, of the keris world. A man of good fortune!"

I cannot detect insult in this, except perhaps for the regrettable lack of title, which a person of Empu Suparman's stature surely does deserve, but as you say, you were not born an Indonesian, and you are not now Indonesian, so I was more than prepared to overlook this lapse of respect on your part, which I am certain was absolutely unintentional.

I must admit, I do not really understand this remark, so even in the absence of an insult perceived by others, I probably should have asked you to clarify your intent --- but then, I am often a little too relaxed.

However, I would greatly appreciate it if you would be so kind as to explain exactly what you meant by this remark of yours that I have quoted above.

It disturbs me that a post which I took to be non-confrontational and mildly complimentary could be interpreted by others to be grossly disrespectful and insulting.

Could you please assist by dispelling this misconception?

Thank you for your cooperation.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote