View Single Post
Old 1st December 2010, 12:25 PM   #14
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
You have PM on the other matter, but I did not answer the bit about right and left hand. ALL pics I have of these being worn show that they are worn to be drawn by the LEFT hand, and, no, I have never seen a right handed one in any books either.
I can only assume that because in Islamic custom the right hand is used for eating, that other things (including ablutions) and killing is for the left hand. Those here of the Muslim faith can perhaps confirm this.
i dont recall anything in my faith about using the left hand for killing. but yes, the right hand is for eating, hand shaking and anything thats demands interaction between other people (for example, its prefered if i hand you an item with my right hand rather then the left). the left hand is not used for human interactions (cant find a better word) because its used for cleaning the body or touching anything dirty.

Beautiful picture, looks like a picture i saw long time ago or maybe its the same one... as far as i know, the guy with the "omani" janbiya seems to be a sharif.

btw, about the name of the "wahabite" janbiya, bedouin friends of mine call iy simply.. janbiya, though i reckon that the Saudi source is more historically correct.

i have found such janbiya but its shorter then the usual, the scabbard is of good quality and the blade is too clean to be old but it is a janbiya of decent quality, so is it common to find shorter examples? will try to provide pictures whenever am free

to atlantia ; the diet of pre-modernisation arabia wasnt as fattening as now, hehe.

A.Alnakkas
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote