View Single Post
Old 15th November 2010, 08:35 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchlock
Hi there,

Although looking much the same, this bird is not a stork but a crane. In 18th century heraldry, the crane symbolized vigilance, and to make sure he didn't fall asleep he held a stone.

Gentlemen, it's all on the net and easy to find. Please use the web ...

http://www.heraldica.org/topics/birds.htm
Hi Michael,
Things are indeed easy to find on the web, and it would seem that Gustav found the link he furnished there, which clearly shows under storks in heraldry at least one entry holding a roundel. In the entry it is described of course as a stork, and holding a bezant. As most will notice, in the apocrypha of heraldry the descriptions and interpretations vary widely and as always, the attribution of certain arms and thier charges is entirely a matter of perception.
When faced with this dilemma, it seems important to view the item being shown using as much context as possible. For me the most apparant case was that this cuttoe or perhaps perceived as hunting sword or court sword, carries certain gestalt corresponding to other 18th century Polish, and often related Lithuanian weapons (as described).

With many of these 'storks' (and references often note thier similarity in genus to cranes) they seem to be closely tied to heraldry from these regions, as well as Sweden. Most heraldic references which tend to these are inclined to have distinct variances in description, especially as the one you refererence which is excellent, but clearly focused on English perception.
Similarly, the term 'bezant' moves away from the equally apocryphal tale concerning the crane and the rock.

The lily seemed strangely out of place as it appeared of course to be the fluer de lis, but then , using the web, I discovered that this device was used in other countries as well, including Lithuania as noted.

With the confluence of these elements, I felt that the assessment to Lithuania/Poland was satisfactorally plausible and the period of the sword seemed established as well without comparable examples to match it to visually.

Thank you for sharing your findings from the web, and for the reminder that it is indeed a viable resource, to which I attest especially ! Theres not much room for a big library here in the Winnebago!!!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote