View Single Post
Old 28th September 2010, 11:32 PM   #107
A. G. Maisey

As to pouring the juice in and out of containers, I feel it is neither positive nor negative. I use wall paper troughs to clean in, and just leave the juice there until the job is done, if the fungus forms on top I just scoop it off and throw it away.

The hard rust in the joint between blade and gonjo will very probably never go, the only truly effective way to fix this is to remove the gonjo, clean the joint area, and reset the gonjo with epoxy resin mixed with iron filings in between blade and gonjo. This has been the preferred method of blade preservation with very old blades since epoxy resin became available, and it prevents further deterioration. I would not suggest that you did this, it is a job for somebody with the necessary skills and experience.

However I do strongly suggest that you use a sharp tool to pick the rust out from between blade and gonjo --- this does not need to be a perfect clean up job, just get the worst of it off the top --- and also all over the blade in the the pits and pockets where it will appear. I use a three sided file ground to a radiused point, a small pocket knife, and a saddlers awl to do this mechanical cleaning. I use a 2.5X machinists loupe during this mechanical cleaning process.

By the look of this blade you will probably get an acceptable result straight from the pineapple juice. After you think that you have it about as clean as you can get it, give it a final soak in the pineapple juice, then just rinse thoroughly and dry thoroughly, spray with WD40 and allow to drain over night. It won't be a perfect stain job, but it will be OK, and it will avoid the necessity for arsenic, and the difficult part of the process.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote