Thread: Moro Spear
View Single Post
Old 27th September 2010, 12:50 AM   #9
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Hi Gav,

Try rubbing a bit of flour into the markings; that should make them more legible .

I've never seen one of these with inscriptions or marks .

Should clean up nicely .
Nice score .
Thanks Rick and a great suggestion, once in hand I'll do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Hi Gav,

very nice and complete twist core budiak. Would be nice to see it with cleaned and etched blade. I am curious what the inscription saying.
Thank you Detlef, I am sure the expertise here will eventually solve the translation mystery when I provide better images upon receipt of the spear in a few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick

Wouldn't one have to drop his Taming in order to fight succesfully in this manner

Spears on the ground .
Indeed, indeed Rick, though it begs me to ask, other than staged fighting such as this, would a warrior have a weapon of choice and use it to the death were applicable, I only ask as there have been numerous documented accounts of the barong and keris single handedly used to dispatch US soldiers in the day. The dramatic portrayals to not mention that they swapped and changed weapons in life and death combat.....they Moro warrior simply had a weapon of choice, faced off and that was that???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS
According to Stone the budiak's distinction is the chieselled panel/s that give the spear blade within a spear blade effect.

But do we all agree with that?

Regardless, this is a fantastic example and should clean up dramatically.
Thanks Charles. I tend to agree with the Budiak being having sectioned heads as being discussed in the other links but then I look at this one and although not sectioned the same as Maurice and Lee's, it does appear to be scalloped out over the twistcore section and not being a full elipticatal cross section....Mysteries I am not fully versed in hence my question...what is what and when it it what...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
I would agree with Stone's so far. Twistcores seem to come in budiak and non-budiak styles. There has been some speculation that the butts with loops like these had rope at the end for retrieval.

A clean up, nice polish, and etching would really bring this nice piece out.

Congratulations!
Thanks Battara.

I look forward to adding to this in a few weeks, my early Christmas present to myself.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote