View Single Post
Old 23rd August 2010, 12:24 PM   #21
Ian Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
Interesting observation Ian, and something I had never really thought about. However, I have a few swords with definite Waterloo or other battle provenance and these would certainly bear out what you are saying, i.e. a few but quite deep nicks.

Richard

Top : Sword of Lt Chatterton, 12LD, carried at Vittoria, Salamanca, Quatre Bras and Waterloo
Bottom: 16th LD officer's sword, almost certainly at Waterloo
I really love those sabres Richard.
I have always believed from reading about first hand accounts from the period that cavalry engagements would be short but very violent affairs. In the mayhem of a cavalry engagement one or two blows would have been the maximum possible. Perhaps a parry and one or two cuts at an opponent.
One only has to read the various Scots Greys accounts from the Battle of Waterloo to have a good understanding of a cavalry action.
When a trooper was attemping to kill an opponent he would use his sabre with all of his force. Trooper's would often stand in their stirrups to give their blow more force. If the opponent were lucky enough to parry the blow this would leave a very deep notch in the blade as in the lower of Richards two sabres. Many blows would also hit the opponents blade at an angle showing the impact and removing a slither of metal. I own a French 1810 dated Cuirassier's sabre with it's original scabbard and hatchet pointed blade. This sword blade shows such an impact near the hilt. See photos below.
In action notches to the blade would vary from the point of the blade up to and including the hilt.
I am convinced that much of the damage that I see to swords at auction is caused not by military engagements but merely from abuse by more recent owners enacting scenes from their favourite movies or just play acting. These knicks are very distintive: Very many shallow cuts and nicks on the lower half of the blade away from where the hand would be grasping the sword.
Obviously, sword blades can also show deep cuts from being used in action and the more shallow cuts from sword abuse.

Ian
Attached Images

Ian Knight is offline   Reply With Quote