Join Date: May 2006
Thanks for your answers Graham and Gustav.
As previously advised, only one of these pamors is known for certain, the other pamor information is opinion, but probably as good an opinion as you can get, and it is Javanese keris expert opinion, in three cases from men who have made Javanese keris, in one case from a dealer in Javanese keris, the total experience represented is about 200 years.
Where I have noted "consensus of opinion", this refers to the material, whether the pamor is miring or mlumah is known with certainty as this can be clearly seen in the physical presence of the blade. Somebody with experience in this field does not need to see more than an inch or so of blade to be able to know with certainty whether it is miring or mlumah, but you need to see the blade, not an image of the blade. From an image it is extremely difficult to know anything.
1. --- meteoritic, attributed to Empu Jayasukadgo, surface manipulated pamor mlumah.Consensus of opinion
2. --- meteoritic, attributed to Empu Jayasukadgo, mlumah. Consensus of opinion.
3. --- believed to be motor bike muffler and mild steel, current era, Sumenep Madura, miring. Consensus of opinion
4. --- luwu, mlumah; this blade is a Bugis "chieftain" keris, probably second half of the 19th century, appears to have been removed from point of origin soon after manufacture. Provenance is partly known which supports the consensus of opinion.
5. --- European nickel and mild steel, current era production by a leading Surakarta pandai keris, surface manipulated mlumah. This pamor is known for certain.
6. --- believed to be motor bike muffler and mild steel, current era, Sumenep Madura, mlumah.Consensus of opinion.
Graham is obviously pretty good at this game, but even his knowledge and experience does not give a perfect result.
Given the same images , but without personal knowledge, I doubt that I would even come as close as has Graham.
What chance has a person without extensive knowledge and experience of hands on forge work in this medium got of learning anything at all from pictures?