View Single Post
Old 19th April 2010, 11:11 PM   #9
Dimasalang

Im glad this topic has been brought up for discussion.
Here is my own personal opinion on this matter regarding Moros and narcotics. I don't believe the Moros were on drugs either...I believe these warriors on drugs were from other groups. Too many historians attribute what ever war or battle that existed after the Phil-Am War(1902) as being with "the Moros". Anything and everything considered "South" of Luzon was always written up as Moro related. As the years past by, all dates and places of these other wars and battles were long forgotten and they all forgot who was who in the Philippines... so anything 1903 and after was just chalked up as Moro related being they were the more famous of all groups. Most don't even realize how large and diverse the Philippines is, let alone how many different groups reside there. You can look around now and there is still very little history written on this time. I can't tell you how many times I have run across stories of Moros taking round after round of 38s and Krag bullets; and the story is centered in "Samar". The Pulajanes(or Pulahan; J is pronounced w/ H like in Spanish) fought against the Americans during the same time as the Moros...but the Pulajanes get very little to no credit for their ability to with stand rounds of gunfire. For those that don't know about the Pulajanes, they were Christians, but of the remote mountain regions of Visayas...it is important to note, as an isolated group their belief in the Christian faith became twisted...believing in God and the bible but were left with no priest or no direction to interpret and guide them...they developed their own spin on the Christian faith all the while mixing in native folklore. In other words, they were a cult. Their leaders weren't Generals or presidents, they were Papas(Popes) and priestesses...some going so far to take on the names of saints, angels, and prophets. They strongly believed in Anting Anting(magical amulets or objects) and the Oryson(protection prayers). US officers would report on the same strategic behavior of each encounter...stating they had no strategy, just run out in the open with their bolos in hand. They did this because they believed their anting anting or oryson would make them bullet proof and protect them. I have researched and spoke with a few individuals that claimed to have anting anting...saying that if you ever doubt the power(ie duck or take cover from gunfire), it will stop working. So you can see how if this story was told much later of a group seen charging out of the jungle with religious fervor, not taking cover in a hail of gunfire, could easily be misrepresented as being Moro related. They're religious fighting styles, although different in beliefs and principles to the Moros, were similar in fashion. It is also worth noting there were several different groups of Pulajanes stemming from Samar/Leyte and covering all major islands to north Mindanao. So I personally believe these drugged out warriors were more then likely coming from these groups like the Pulajanes, Waray, Colorum, or other out of control warrior/religious tribes. And all these other warrior groups were being exterminated at the same time as the Moro groups.

With that said, there is still a small possibility that some Moros could of been on drugs. Not all Moros were strict to their religion, in fact the Moslems rules were very loosely followed during that time. Im sure most living within the major tribes followed their religion closely...but we all know the Chinese and their opium drug trade thrived in the the Moro region...which would mean the Moros were big customers. Just because they are Moslems doesn't mean they can not be drug addicts. Also, look what happened to the Christian tribes that were in remote regions, the same could possibly happen to other Moro groups living on the outskirts of society who were outcasts and criminals...possibly being outcast and criminals for taking drugs and/or not following Moslems laws. Obviously these folks would be the ones to defy and fight against any authority.
Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote