View Single Post
Old 12th April 2010, 12:25 AM   #18
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henk
David,

Very good question.

The blades where older blades indeed and mostly not top-notch blades. In my opinion and that's why you see them so much here in Holland is that these dresses were purely made for bringback gifts for mainly the Dutch soldiers and other Dutch employees in those days.

In my opinion the Maduran owned keris in their proper maduran dress and not in dress of lower quality wood, that was used for these bringback kerisses.
Henk, from your last response i fear that you are not understanding my meaning or intention in showing these other higher end dress. I certainly didn't mean to offend, but you will excuse me if i insist that this discussion has nothing to due in particular with being Dutch. I originally wondered whether this form of dress might have also been a traditional dress form before it caught on for returning soldiers. I thought that Alan suggested as much in post first post on this thread. When i asked this you responded "good question", but you response seemed to indict that you believed this is form made purely for Dutch soldiers. If i misunderstood your meaning i do apologize. We are not having a discussion solely about the quality of the wood used in these sheaths, but also the form itself. So i have shown other dress of this type which you now state you wish were the kind soldiers brought back and that your Dutch friends are surprised to see this dress in this quality. Well maybe that means some of these higher quality versions actually were made for Madurans, not soldiers. That is may point. Am i missing something here?
My statement about looking in the wrong boxes at flea markets was punctuated with a wink and a smile. It was meant in jest. I am sorry that you missed the joke.
David is offline   Reply With Quote