Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   The magic of standing Keris (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=8568)

Pusaka 17th February 2009 12:11 PM

The magic of standing Keris

2 Attachment(s)
It always amazes me how people often think a standing keris has some type of mystical power or that the person who makes the keris stand has some special skill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r88tF...eature=related

I recently took this photo. Its my mystical Kitchen knife, the blade has been imbued with the spirit of several chickens :D

Henk 17th February 2009 03:24 PM

I looked several times at the pictures, but....... Which one is the kitchen knife?? :D

Pusaka 17th February 2009 06:56 PM

Well I have used a Keris as a Letter opener but I have never used one for cooking yet :D

Henk 17th February 2009 08:29 PM

For everything is a first time.... Chicken with arsenic... yummie ! ! :D :eek:

asomotif 18th February 2009 04:32 PM

I can do this with a broomstick. (without witchcraft btw ;) )

David 18th February 2009 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asomotif
I can do this with a broomstick. (without witchcraft btw ;) )

...and i can do it with witchcraft... ;) :)

Pusaka 18th February 2009 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David
...and i can do it with witchcraft... ;) :)

Now thats something I would like to see and on that note I would like to ask the members of this forum if anyone has ever (with there own eyes) seen a keris dance, rattle or fly.

I think I have been present when a keris mounted on the wall started to rattle. I did not realise where the sound was coming from until I ran the whole thing through my mind after the event. My first thoughts was god this place has rats :D

fearn 19th February 2009 01:31 AM

Hi Pusaka,

To clarify :D, you mean, a keris moving under its own power, not powered by (say) rats, earthquakes, or nearby large vehicles, right? :D

I've sure seen things fly during earthquakes, but I'll bet that's not what you meant.

F

Pusaka 19th February 2009 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fearn
Hi Pusaka,

To clarify :D, you mean, a keris moving under its own power, not powered by (say) rats, earthquakes, or nearby large vehicles, right? :D

I've sure seen things fly during earthquakes, but I'll bet that's not what you meant.

F

Hi Fearn,

In Indonesia the Keris is divided into dead keris and live keris. Alive keris is thought to have varying levels of ability which can range from a strange feeling when held in the hand (a type of energy current flowing through the blade) to the ability to leap from the sheath and shoot across the room.

This video illustrates the kind of thing I'm talking about (although it is a fake in my opinion)

I know people in the Silat community who swear they have seen such things, I personally have never seen a keris move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yeo91PEL2i8

David 19th February 2009 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pusaka
This video illustrates the kind of thing I'm talking about (although it is a fake in my opinion)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yeo91PEL2i8

Oh please, not this video again. I don't think there is any question that this is fake. It's stop-action animation, and bad animation at that. :rolleyes:
I am not so sure that i see the benefit of this line of discussion to our understanding of the keris. Mystical phenomenon will never be quantitively or scientifically proven. I have had many dozens of mystical and magickal experiences in my lifetime (none specifically with keris other than feeling i could sense certain energies within some of them), but presenting them to others would be a useless exercise. Magick does not work like your toaster or your car, though i do truly believe it does work. But IMO to tell someone, yeah, i had a keris fly across my room once is in essence totally meaningless to those who did not experience it. :shrug:

Pusaka 25th February 2009 08:01 PM

At the beginning of this thread I posted a photo of a keris with Naga rangsang pamor. I was told that it was made by Empu Djeno Harumbrodjo, I have some reservations about this but wondering what others think?

David 25th February 2009 09:41 PM

This is indeed a nice contemporary keris Pusaka. AFAIK most of empu Djeno's keris came with certificates of authenticity. Do you have one for this one? Not that it couldn't be faked. If you provided some really detailed photos maybe one of our more learned members might be able to make a judgement. I would also think that since his nephews are carrying on with this work and all this was done within human memory perhaps they could ID it if you sent them photos. But i do not know the address you would need to send them. :shrug: :)

Pusaka 25th February 2009 10:22 PM

Quote:

I would also think that since his nephews are carrying on with this work and all this was done within human memory perhaps they could ID it if you sent them photos. But i do not know the address you would need to send them. :shrug: :)

Yes David, they would know for sure, I would love to send a photo but dont have an address or email contact either. Anyone here know ;) ;)

Pusaka 26th February 2009 05:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

AFAIK most of empu Djeno's keris came with certificates of authenticity. Do you have one for this one? Not that it couldn't be faked.

I was looking everywhere for that scrap of paper, actually this is what makes me think that Empu Djeno Harumbrodjo did not make it. I think the certificate would have been more professional with his signature included. This piece of paper was in the keris bag.

David 26th February 2009 07:50 PM

Quote:

I was looking everywhere for that scrap of paper, actually this is what makes me think that Empu Djeno Harumbrodjo did not make it. I think the certificate would have been more professional with his signature included. This piece of paper was in the keris bag.

ummm...well yes, i believe that the certificates do look just a bit more professional than this one. I understand your suspicion. :rolleyes: :D
I don't think they are usually written in English either. ;)

kulbuntet 8th March 2009 09:38 PM

Quote:

Well I have used a Keris as a Letter opener but I have never used one for cooking yet :D

Beter not use keris for cooking, use a wedung.. it chops beter!!
:D

Kiai Carita 9th March 2009 04:39 AM

Quote:

That piece of paper looks like it was written by a person who went to school in Indonesia after the 1980s. Before that the handwriting of schooled people here was better, with proper thick and thin lines, in a slant.

Empu Sungkowo Harum Brodjo lived most of his life with Empu Djeno and considers himself to be his son. Just a few weeks ago Empu Sungkowo had a remembrance ceremony, commemorating 1000 days after Empu Djeno's death. Currently he is busy making meteorite keris for a German client who brought over the meteorite. He has a two year waiting list.

Empu Sungkowo lives in Empu Djeno's house and has renovated the front part. His address is : Gatak, Sumberagung, Moyudan, Sleman, Yogyakarta 55563. Landline 0888-2742354, mobile 081-22731372.

The photo of the certificate definitely screams FAKE! while the polished almost "too nice" appearance of the keris seems to say MADURA. Often Madura blades don't have a decent piece of steel in the centre. I would try and bend the blade, if it gives and bends easily, it means that it hasn't got a proper steel middle.

Have a good day.