Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Knobkerrie Question (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=8441)

Queequeg 8th February 2009 04:38 PM

Knobkerrie Question

Does anyone know what kind of wood was generally used to make a knobkerrie? Looking at them, I get the impression that many were made of Gaboon Ebony and Teak, but I can't tell which wood might be used in "authentic" and which is reserved for "tourist" pieces. Quite a few are made of lighter-colored wood(s), as well.

I found one site which said they're made of "kiate wood", but I'm having a devil of a time finding anything out about that particular species.

Tim Simmons 8th February 2009 05:59 PM

In my collection of clubs and sticks several types of wood appear to be used? All the real weapon knobkerries seem to be made of dense woods. I would love to know as well. I have some that range in colour from dark red brown to black, black and blonde, and Tan.

Lew 8th February 2009 09:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The woods do range in color and species but the gabon ebony that wood is mostly for the tourist stuff. Below are a few of mine to give you a better idea of color range and style.

Lew

Robert 8th February 2009 09:20 PM

LOUIEBLADES, Nice collection you have there. Has the turtle or tortoise shell been made into a shield?

Robert

Lew 8th February 2009 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Coleman
LOUIEBLADES, Nice collection you have there. Has the turtle or tortoise shell been made into a shield?

Robert

Yes Robert a shield.:)

Lew

Queequeg 8th February 2009 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
The woods do range in color and species but the gabon ebony that wood is mostly for the tourist stuff. Below are a few of mine to give you a better idea of color range and style.

Lew

Lew, that's a nice collection you have.

I'm surprised the gaboon ebony ones would be tourist pieces, given its weight and hardness. That wood might be my among my first choices for a good head-basher.

Lew 9th February 2009 12:16 AM

Gabon ebony is very dense and I am sure it was used on certain older clubs. The ones to look out for are rungu clubs seems they use that wood a lot when making the tourist pieces I have one in my collection.

nKante 9th February 2009 12:18 AM

When and where was the turtle shield made? Can i see that from the back?

Lew 9th February 2009 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nKante
When and where was the turtle shield made? Can i see that from the back?

It is currently listed of sale in the swap section so we really can't discuss it now in the open forum.