Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Help finding a keris display stand (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3560)

CollectingNewbie 14th November 2006 03:52 AM

Help finding a keris display stand

Hi, Ive been trying to find a keris holder for my keris collection, but it seems that they are very hard to find. Im looking for just a basic wood stand that holds 5 keris, but it seems that most are going for around 100.00. Does anyone know where I can find a basic display stand?

David 14th November 2006 04:37 AM

Hey Newbie, i have asked the Mods to move this thread over to the keris forum. In the meantime, what you are looking for is called a ploncon and they aren't too hard to find really. They pop up regularly on eBay and i know at least a couple of dealers who carry them. I'll send you a link in PM. I am afraid that they are, indeed, around $100 plus shipping, buit they are not hard to find.

A. G. Maisey 14th November 2006 06:52 AM

Its pretty easy to make a basic ploncon.All you need to do is use ordinary DAR pine, cut holes in the top bar for the gandar to go through, a little depression in the bottom bar to hold the tip of the pendok, two bits of broomstick size dowel as uprights, two stabilising legs at 90 degrees to the support bars. Then hit it with dark stain and finish with danish oil. Probably a couple of hours would do it.If David has given places to look , you can easy copy those designs, but forget the nagas and fancy carving, and just go basic.

Alternatively, you can always just hang them on the wall.

But speaking for myself, I prefer not to display at all---but that's a personal preference.

David 14th November 2006 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
But speaking for myself, I prefer not to display at all---but that's a personal preference.

Yes, and judging by the rather large collection of keris Alan must have at home i would imaging that he has an awful amount of draw space. :D
This last advice that Alan has givien you C.N. is exactly how i would answer your question in your PM to me. Just about all the ones i have seen are not plain ones, but are decorated with nice carvings. If you are looking for one on the cheap the best thing you can do is make your own. With a little care you can probably make a pretty nice one. :)

A. G. Maisey 14th November 2006 09:41 PM

Couple of good sized chests of drawers, very big camphor wood chest, three or four racks of shelves full of cardboard boxes, a dozen or so cardboard boxes scattered through the house----and one ploncon with seven tombak in it, plus a few blawongs and a couple of single place ploncons with keris in private rooms.

CharlesS 16th November 2006 11:23 AM

I have two traditional Naga style keris stands for sale. Please email me if intersted.

Rick 16th November 2006 12:51 PM

Hi Charles , your post being an offer to sell; should be in swap .
Could you please repost it there .
Thanks.

Rick