Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Percussion Coach Gun (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25259)

David R 3rd September 2019 01:25 PM

Percussion Coach Gun

4 Attachment(s)
On another thread there arose a discussion about Sawn-Off and other short barrelled Shot Guns.
Here is mine, bought last year at an Antique Arms Fair in the UK. I wasn't sure what I had bought at first, but the price was right and it was an attractive "Wall Hanger", a decorative piece and no longer functional. The consensus of opinion at the next meeting at the Royal Armouries was that it was made as a short gun, and fitted into the category known as Coach Guns. Not made as a hunting gun, but for defence from the drivers seat or the inside box of a coach. The defining feature was the made for purpose 18 inch 46 cm barrel.
It has had a hard life, and a lot of repairs and alterations. The lock was originally a flint lock, and there is a good likelihood that the stock is a replacement.

fernando 3rd September 2019 02:21 PM

Interesting. Could you show us a clearer picture of the lock plate front, David ?
... Just to see the modification work ...

David R 3rd September 2019 02:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here we are, you can just see where another piece has been brazed in....

David R 3rd September 2019 02:37 PM

It has a new hammer, the old one long gone.

fernando 3rd September 2019 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David R
Here we are, you can just see where another piece has been brazed in....

Yes; and the removal of the priming pan for a cap nipple. Certainly Looks like a private modification, not a military one; both taking place by the 1830's-1840's, right ?

David R 3rd September 2019 02:57 PM

It's a civilian piece originally rather than military, a shotgun rather than a carbine. One with a long and eventful life I would say.

fernando 3rd September 2019 03:01 PM

Quote:

It has a new hammer, the old one long gone.

Certainly the one that had to swapped for the modification ;).

fernando 3rd September 2019 03:11 PM

Quote:

... a shotgun rather than a carbine...

Caliber ?

Fernando K 3rd September 2019 04:23 PM

Hello

Does the barrel have a test punch?

Affectionately

David R 3rd September 2019 06:10 PM

Approximately 12 bore, but hard to tell with an old barrel. According to my gunsmith it had proof marks and etc, but now worn away to illegibility.

Spottedbull 31st December 2019 04:47 AM

As a newbie to this site, and a lover of all things "black powder" I think this old girl is a thing of beauty!

fernando 31st December 2019 11:22 AM

Yes indeed.
... and welcome to the forum, Spottedbull :) ,