Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Omani Khanjar for comments (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23143)

mariusgmioc 14th September 2017 10:16 AM

Omani Khanjar for comments
 
3 Attachment(s)
Just got a new Omani Khanjar. It came in a nice case and is fully gilt (gilt silver), so I assume it is some kind of presentation Khanjar.

Length sheathed is 30 cm and unsheathed 26 cm out of which the blade is 13 cm with flattened diamond cross-section.

The hilt is black horn.

I guess it is some late 20 century example and any comments will be mostly welcomed!

Kubur 14th September 2017 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusgmioc
Just got a new Omani Khanjar. It came in a nice case and is fully gilt (gilt silver), so I assume it is some kind of presentation Khanjar.

Length sheathed is 30 cm and unsheathed 26 cm out of which the blade is 13 cm with flattened diamond cross-section.

The hilt is black horn.

I guess it is some late 20 century example and any comments will be mostly welcomed!


Be carefull Ibrahim will tell you that your khanjar is Indian...


:) :D

mariusgmioc 14th September 2017 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
Be carefull Ibrahim will tell you that your khanjar is Indian...


:) :D


Might be. :shrug: I honestly don't know much about Omani Khanjars. Got this one because it came at a very reasonable price and I liked the workmanship. :)

What do you think? Is it Indian?

Kubur 14th September 2017 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusgmioc
Might be. :shrug: I honestly don't know much about Omani Khanjars. Got this one because it came at a very reasonable price and I liked the workmanship. :)

What do you think? Is it Indian?


of course not
even if it was made by Indians in Oman (the blade is a bit suspicious)
it's pure Omani khanjar, in style.
But very recent of course, maybe a presentation khanjar (you got it in a boxe?)

A.alnakkas 14th September 2017 02:23 PM

Craftsmanship is definitely not conventional Omani. It is not made by traditional workers or under the supervision of someone who knows the style well. The shape is Omani, the locket is stamped (?) and the stitching is not right. Though I think its a cool piece to own.

Probably made in India or by Indians in imitation of Omani daggers.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 14th September 2017 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Craftsmanship is definitely not conventional Omani. It is not made by traditional workers or under the supervision of someone who knows the style well. The shape is Omani, the locket is stamped (?) and the stitching is not right. Though I think its a cool piece to own.

Probably made in India or by Indians in imitation of Omani daggers.



Salaams A.alnakkas, I completely agree. Indian for the tourist market. :shrug:

mariusgmioc 14th September 2017 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur

But very recent of course, maybe a presentation khanjar (you got it in a boxe?)


Yes, got it in a nice presentation box. :)

Thank you guys for clarification! :)


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:49 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.