Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A TRIO OF ALBANIAN PISTOLS (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20181)

rickystl 4th July 2015 05:58 PM

A TRIO OF ALBANIAN PISTOLS

6 Attachment(s)
Hello all. Well, another weekend is here already.
Here are three typical, brass stocked, Albanian pistols. These were made in large quantities in the Balkans under contract to the Ottoman Empire. Probably early to mid 19th Century. Starting from the top, I'll call these #1, #2, and #3. The three pistols show the two different grip styles usually encountered. #1 has the familiar "rat tail" grip. While #2 and #3 have the more European style grip. #1 and #2 use the typical Balkan style miquelet lock, while #3 uses the less encountered French stle flintlock. The engraving/decoration on #1 and #2 are typical of what you see on these pistols. While #3 has an interesting combination of what looks like Albanian and maybe Greek. (?) There are no stamps on the barrel of #1. There are two stamps on barrel #2 and four on #3. No makers marks on the locks. All three locks are in perfect working order. All three are in solid condition with nothing loose or missing.
#2 has some natural wear on the brass at the grip area. So I think this one saw more use. Therefore, I had a new steel liner made for the barrel, and put #2 back in action in the 21st Century as my shooter. LOL
:) It's now a .59 caliber and shoots well.
Anyway, here are some pics of the three togeter. Hope you enjoy, and thanks for looking. Rick.

rickystl 4th July 2015 06:00 PM

6 Attachment(s)
SOME MORE PICS........

rickystl 4th July 2015 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
AND ONE MORE..........

rickystl 4th July 2015 07:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And here is a familar character displaying a Rat Tail pistol in his sash. :D
Rick.

corrado26 4th July 2015 07:15 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Thanks a lot for these informative pictures with pistols of Albania. My flintlock pistol of the Balkan area with a genuine massiv silver stock is probably made in Greece in times when they still had enough money to make such nice things. There are no marks on the Barrel or the lock, but it is in very good condition and the function of the lock is crisp.
corrado26

rickystl 4th July 2015 09:02 PM

Hi Corrado26.
That is a beautiful Greek pistol. With the typical Greek style grip. I note the brass pan and roller on the frizzen spring. This denotes a late period flintlock - and likely European made. I'll bet the internals of the lock are of the same quality as the outside. Again, wonderful looking pistol in great condition. And a textbook example of a Greek style pistol. Thanks for Posting.
Rick.

BANDOOK 5th July 2015 04:00 AM

NICE TRIO RICK,LOOKS GREAT
CORRADO LOVELY CONDITION OF YOUR GRECO PISTOL,CHEERS

thinreadline 5th July 2015 07:05 AM

really nice pistols Rick , not seen that often here in England.

Kubur 7th July 2015 04:04 PM

Hi Rick,
You have an amazing collection!
Kind regards,
Kubur

rickystl 12th July 2015 09:12 PM

Thank you all for the kind comments.
YES!! Corrado's pistol is a beauty!!
Rick.