Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Small ivory hilted gunong restore project (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18854)

Sajen 31st July 2014 03:54 PM

Small ivory hilted gunong restore project
 
7 Attachment(s)
Just bought this small (8,5'') gunong which need some restauration, the guard and nearly all ferrule parts are missing. The pommel seems from ivory. It will be send to a well known member I have contacted before and he think that he will be able to do this job.
I think it is a early 20th century piece because the elongated pommel. I am small by money but by this price I can't resist.

All comments are welcome, special thoughts how the missing parts could has looked.

Robert 31st July 2014 07:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Detlef, Even with the missing parts and minor damage this is still a very nice late 19th early 20th century gunong. The damaged areas of the ivory hilt I think will be hidden from sight and quite unnoticable when the missing ferrule has been added. The blade is well formed and does not look to have any serious rust or pitting. The only damage to the silver sheath looks to have been caused by its being dropped resulting in some slight distortion to the metal. When all missing pieces are replaced and after a good polishing it will be an absolutely stunning addition to your collection. One question, is the braided band made from gold wire as it appears to be in the photos? Please be sure to post more photos showing all the details of this when the restoration is completed for us to drool over.

Best,
Robert

Sajen 31st July 2014 08:03 PM

Hello Robert,

thank you for your kind words! :) You have shown recently how a neglected gunong can come back to old glory again and I hope that it will be by this one the same. And I agree with you that the missing parts from the pommel will be hidden by the new ferrule.
I have looked already longer for a gunong with such an elongated pommel.

Regards,
Detlef

russel 31st July 2014 10:33 PM

Congratulations Detlef, I was trying to negotiate with the seller to post to Australia. But you beat me to it! I'm glad it is going to a good home, I'm sure you will do a fine restoration.

Cheers, Russel

russel 31st July 2014 10:40 PM

I'm not as disappointed as I might have been, as I have recently won a similar (but not as good) Gunong, I will post images in a separate post.

Sajen 31st July 2014 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russel
Congratulations Detlef, I was trying to negotiate with the seller to post to Australia. But you beat me to it! I'm glad it is going to a good home, I'm sure you will do a fine restoration.

Cheers, Russel


Thank you Russel,

I am sure the seller told you a very high shipping price, to Germany he want about $60! :eek: The restauration will be done by Jose. I have seen that there has been already five watchers so I buy it direct.

Regards,
Detlef

Sajen 31st July 2014 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russel
I'm not as disappointed as I might have been, as I have recently won a similar (but not as good) Gunong, I will post images in a separate post.


I am curious already to see the pictures! :)

Sajen 1st August 2014 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert
One question, is the braided band made from gold wire as it appears to be in the photos?


Hello Robert,

just noticed your question. I think it is silver but not sure.

Regards,
Detlef

Battara 1st August 2014 09:08 PM

The braided band does look silver to me.......

Robert 1st August 2014 10:14 PM

I was just wondering, in photos above (the second one in particular) to me the band has a gold/swasa look to it. Either way gold or silver it is nice that it is still with the gunong and was not lost like the guard and ferrule were.

Best,
Robert

Battara 2nd August 2014 02:35 AM

Very true Robert. I am surprised it stayed with the piece.

Sajen 13th September 2014 01:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have just received some pictures from Jose, he has finished the work on this gunong. I am pleased with his work! ;)

Ian 13th September 2014 06:26 PM

What a sweet little gunong Detlef. Jose does lovely work.

I think the valuable metal may have been stripped from this knife originally because of its value. Recently, I have been in touch with an old friend, a long time antique store owner in Manila, who says that he has seen many such pieces stripped of their precious metals so that the silver/gold can be sold. He laments this desecration of old artifacts because he believes he could sell the intact piece for much more than the value of the metal taken off them. He has even offered more than the metal is worth to buy the intact items, but the owners have more faith in selling the silver/gold for cash in their own areas than relying on a middle man in Manila who shops these items to antique dealers like my friend.

Ian.

Battara 13th September 2014 06:51 PM

Ian, Cato said that same exact thing, sadly.

Anyway, the guard I made is silver and the red bands are rose gold (closed thing to swassa) over brass. On the rose gold bands are sections of silver.

Thank you folks. Happy to bring this back to life! :D

VANDOO 13th September 2014 07:03 PM

A VERY NICE PIECE I AM GLAD TO SEE IT RESTORED AND COMPLETE.
LOOKING AT THE PICTURES OF THE IVORY IT LOOKS LIKE MARINE IVORY WAS USED. A SMALLER SPERM WHALE TOOTH BEING A LIKELY MATERIAL, JUDGING FROM THE SHAPE AND THE LARGE NERVE CAVITY USED FOR THE KNIFE TANG.

Sajen 14th September 2014 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
What a sweet little gunong Detlef. Jose does lovely work.

I think the valuable metal may have been stripped from this knife originally because of its value.


Thank you Ian. :) Agree about the work Jose has done. Interestingly thought why it come like this, still a mystery why the braided silver band was still with it. :shrug:

Regards,
Detlef

Sajen 14th September 2014 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
A VERY NICE PIECE I AM GLAD TO SEE IT RESTORED AND COMPLETE.
LOOKING AT THE PICTURES OF THE IVORY IT LOOKS LIKE MARINE IVORY WAS USED. A SMALLER SPERM WHALE TOOTH BEING A LIKELY MATERIAL, JUDGING FROM THE SHAPE AND THE LARGE NERVE CAVITY USED FOR THE KNIFE TANG.


Hello Barry,

have thought that it is elephant ivory. Maybe Jose can give the answer since he has handled it.

Regards,
Detlef

Battara 14th September 2014 07:14 PM

After handling this piece, I did see some signs of what could look like crosshatching done at an angle. I would there lean toward elephant ivory, probably Indian elephant ivory.

Sajen 14th September 2014 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
After handling this piece, I did see some signs of what could look like crosshatching done at an angle. I would there lean toward elephant ivory, probably Indian elephant ivory.


Thank you for clarification! :)

russel 15th September 2014 12:34 AM

Great work on a lovely little Gunong. Have/will you polish and etch the blade?

Sajen 15th September 2014 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russel
Great work on a lovely little Gunong. Have/will you polish and etch the blade?


Thank you Russel,

Jose write me that he has polished and etched the blade but that it don't show any lamination.

Regards,
Detlef

Ian 15th September 2014 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Thank you Russel,

Jose write me that he has polished and etched the blade but that it don't show any lamination.

Regards,
Detlef
Detlef:

I have not found lamination to be a common feature for gunong. None of the ones I presently own have laminated blades. They do occur but seem to be fairly uncommon.

Ian

Robert 15th September 2014 05:50 AM

Hello Detlef, As usual Jose has done his magic and brought this back from the neglect it had been subject to and given it a new life as the beautiful weapon that it was originally meant to be. The only reason that I can think of for the woven silver band to have been left behind is that the original ferrule possibly was made from swassa and the band just did not have enough value to be bothered with at the time.:shrug: A beautiful piece, my congratulations to both the owner and restorer.

Best,
Robert

Sajen 15th September 2014 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Detlef:

I have not found lamination to be a common feature for gunong. None of the ones I presently own have laminated blades. They do occur but seem to be fairly uncommon.

Ian


Hello Ian,

would say that it is not uncommon to find blades without lamination. I have now nine gunong in my collection, with the one in question I have two without lamination, five with lamination, by two I don't know exactly because I still need to polish and etch the blades.

Regards,
Detlef

Sajen 15th September 2014 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert
Hello Detlef, As usual Jose has done his magic and brought this back from the neglect it had been subject to and given it a new life as the beautiful weapon that it was originally meant to be. The only reason that I can think of for the woven silver band to have been left behind is that the original ferrule possibly was made from swassa and the band just did not have enough value to be bothered with at the time.:shrug: A beautiful piece, my congratulations to both the owner and restorer.

Best,
Robert


Thank you Robert,

your thoughts about the woven silver band could be correct. Still a little bit strange that was let the silver cover over the scabbard and this band. :shrug:

Regards,
Detlef

CharlesS 15th September 2014 06:44 PM

Another nice job Jose...and a lovely piece!

Battara 15th September 2014 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert
The only reason that I can think of for the woven silver band to have been left behind is that the original ferrule possibly was made from swassa and the band just did not have enough value to be bothered with at the time.
Best,
Robert


I agree, a great point Robert. Notice that the silver on the scabbard is intact, so only the swassa would have been valuable enough I suppose, more so (even at 9k gold) than regular sterling or coin silver.

This is the reason I suggested to Sajen that the hilt bands may have been swassa over copper or brass, and so went with the closest to this - rose gold covered brass.

And once again, thank you Robert, Charles, and the rest of you wonderful folks. :D


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:11 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.