Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Meaning of 'WE' marking on German 'Puffer' wheellock pistol (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15492)

Jean-Marc S. 28th April 2012 10:09 PM

Meaning of 'WE' marking on German 'Puffer' wheellock pistol

2 Attachment(s)
Hello,

Please, would you know what is the meaning of 'WE' marking on this 1591 'Puffer' pistol ?

Also there are some 'A' and 'K' markings close to the 1591 barrel date. Any information on these letters ? :confused:

Thanks,

jm

Jean-Marc S. 28th April 2012 10:12 PM

11 Attachment(s)
Some additional pics.

Is is a pistol for Schwarze Reiter (also called 'Black Riders') ?

Matchlock 29th April 2012 04:40 PM

I cannot identify the marks but the shape of the dog points towards Augsburg as the city of origin, and to ca. 1590 perfectly matching the date 1591; I would not assign this puffer to the 'Black Riders'.
Stylistically this is one of a rare group of short-barreled ball-butted pistols (puffers).

m

Matchlock 29th April 2012 08:51 PM

What the ball butt was actually for

7 Attachment(s)
I have heard various interpretations on the actual historic use of a ball butt on a wheellock 'puffer', the most common being that it was used as a club after the gun had been fired on horseback.

Here is a very rare image showing a detached late-16th c. ball butt and the central wooden rod for attaching it to the butt stock.

We cannnot categorically exclude that the putts of pistols and guns were employed as clubs in case of emergency but they certainly were not constructed to survive such a treatment.

Basically, the ball butt provided a safe grip for the gloved horseman's hand when reaching for the heavy pistol to draw.

The earliest, and smallest, precursor of the ball butt appeared in the 1550's, developing from the fishtail-shaped rear end, and the design was finally given up at the beginning of the 17th c.

One of the earliest pistols presenting the prestage to what was to become a ball butt is seen on a ca. 1550-55 Nuremberg pistol, struck with the mark of Hans Stopler, and the sickle-shaped dog spring running around the wheel, preserved in the Hermitage Museum St. Petersburg (attached at bottom).

m

Jean-Marc S. 29th April 2012 09:53 PM

Thanks Super Michael.
I also have had 'attributed' this pistol to Augsburg based on similar motifs found on Augsburg made contemporary wheel lock pistols (previous threads from you).

Thanks again for your help ;)

jm

Matchlock 29th April 2012 11:15 PM

Hi J.-M.,

Thank you so much!
I am so glad that we are on the same page! :cool:

Best,
Michael

Jean-Marc S. 11th May 2012 10:45 PM

More detailed pics of wheellock pistol

11 Attachment(s)
Hello,

Here are some more detailed pics of the German wheellock pistol.

jm

Jean-Marc S. 12th May 2012 07:44 AM

'A' and 'K' barrel marks also found on a 1592 Puffer pistol from Trabanten Leib Guard

For information, I found the same 'A' and 'K' barrel marks on a German Puffer wheellock pistol (dated 1592) from the Trabentan Leib guard of Christian II (Puffer pistol at Bolk antiques).

jm