Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Tiny Ottoman/ Persian powder flask (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10008)

archer 21st April 2009 06:25 AM

Tiny Ottoman/ Persian powder flask

2 Attachment(s)
This small priming flask arrived today, I never thought about the need for finer powder in the flash pan. Can anyone tell me about its age range and is it Ottoman, or? Oh, it has a brass plug that appears to be soldered into the back of the flask, so filling would be through the charging spout was that normal or improvised?

Thanks, Steve

ward 21st April 2009 02:09 PM

The brass plate soldered on is added. It should have a loose plate with a bolt in the middle of it that screws down to keep the plate tight. Dating is going to be rather a large range 18th-19th century. Place of origin is difficult also as a guess persian,but could easily be turkish or other ottoman countries. It does not have any decoration so no help from motifs or decoration style.

ward 21st April 2009 03:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics of chargers. 1 group afghan the other turkish and indian

archer 21st April 2009 10:44 PM

response

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Ward, It is very plain here's a shot of what little detail there is, it looks like a bird peacock maybe. You have quite a collection of Afghan shooting gear, Have you visited there? I spent 15 months just south in then West Pakistan.
Regards, Steve

ward 21st April 2009 11:11 PM

No I was working out going right before 911 and since that time it has not been feasible to go over there. My primary collection is based on Afgan pieces.

rand 22nd April 2009 03:34 AM

Hi Steve,

Your powder flask looks Persian, sometimes these are made from wootz steel. Some examples have extensive pierce work that the Persians are so fond of, would lean towards 19th century manufacture simply because its a plain example. As Ward said this style is 18th-19th century. You will occaissionally see them in ivory or a fine tiger striped wood also. These are my favorite style of Persian flask.....

rand

archer 22nd April 2009 04:35 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Well what I thought might be a name scratched onto the side is a crude drawing of a figure in a turban like headdress. Ever on the lookout for wootz I won't commit yet. It still needs light cleaning to confirm or disprove it was very rusty. Thank you for the information. Steve

Atlantia 22nd April 2009 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by archer
Well what I thought might be a name scratched onto the side is a crude drawing of a figure in a turban like headdress. Ever on the lookout for wootz I won't commit yet. It still needs light cleaning to confirm or disprove it was very rusty. Thank you for the information. Steve

Hi Steve

your 'paint' skills gave me a LOL moment there!
Lovely little flask congrats. Would go well with my Afghan musket! ;)

Regards
Gene

archer 22nd April 2009 07:26 PM

more

2 Attachment(s)
You should see my freehand. here's the begining of ?wootz? of wootz showing thru. Thanks for now it'll have to stay with mine. Steve