Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Large Indian Knife with Watered Blade (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15476)

templarnight 26th April 2012 05:28 PM

Large Indian Knife with Watered Blade

4 Attachment(s)
I picked this up recently. Its a nice large size, the Blade is 62cm, overall 76cm.

I have lightly cleaned the Blade to show the watering. What type of watering is this?

Many thanks

ariel 26th April 2012 05:31 PM

Not wootz, but mechanical damascus.
Looks good. Congratulations!

templarnight 26th April 2012 05:37 PM

Can you explain the mechanical damascus to me?

How was it constructed?

Andrew 26th April 2012 06:02 PM

Pattern welded. One or more types of steel sandwiched together and folded (welded) during the forging process.

Different variations on the theme and technique are seen in Viking, Indo-Persian, Chinese, Japanese, Malay/Indonesian, Filipino, etc. blades...

kronckew 26th April 2012 06:21 PM

nice salawar yataghan (aka khyber knife). do you have the scabbard for it?

Stan S. 26th April 2012 07:25 PM

Mechanical damascus for sure. I have an Indian kard in my collection that is very similar to this dagger/sword both in form and decoration. I'll see if I can put some pictures up tonight

templarnight 26th April 2012 07:31 PM

No unfortunately no Scabbard.

What date is this piece then?

Stan S. 26th April 2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by templarnight
No unfortunately no Scabbard.

What date is this piece then?

I say 19th cenury Rajasthan

Jens Nordlunde 26th April 2012 09:47 PM

You should really try to use the 'Search' button, trying to for 'wootz' and 'pattern welded'.
If you do, you will find reading enough for quite some time.
I do wonder, why members ask so many questions, when it is obvious that they have not used this obvious button - it is there to be used.
Jens

templarnight 26th April 2012 10:54 PM

I thought this forum was a place to discuss Weapons that we own??

VANDOO 27th April 2012 12:43 AM

YES IT IS A PLACE TO DISCUSS WEAPONS WE OWN AS WELL AS MANY OTHER RELATED THINGS AND IDEAS. SPECIFIC COMMENT BY KNOWLEGABLE MEMBERS ABOUT AN ITEM IN OUR COLLECTION HAS ITS OWN SPECIAL VALUE. IT MAY SUPPORT OR REFUTE WHAT WE KNOW OR THINK WE KNOW ABOUT AN ITEM BUT ALWAYS ADDS A NEW SOURCE OF INFORMATION OR POINT OF VIEW.
THE INFORMATION RECEIVED IN THIS POST SO FAR GIVES A GOOD DIRECTIONS OF WHAT TO LOOK FOR USING THE FORUM SEARCH FOR MORE INFORMATION IT IS A GOOD SUGGESTION AT THIS POINT. ALL INFORMATION SO FAR IS GOOD IN THIS POST AND NO ONE SHOULD TAKE OFFENSE.

ONE OF THE WEAKNESS OF THIS FORUM IS REPETITION OFTEN THE SAME QUESTIONS COME UP OVER AND OVER. ANSWERING THEM MANY TIMES OFTEN BECOMES A JOB AND THEREFORE NO FUN OR CHALLENGE. BUT AS EACH TIME THE QUESTION IS ASKED IT IS BY SOMEONE WHO IS TRYING TO LEARN SO THEY MUST BE ANSWERED ANEW. NO DOUBT THE FORUM FILES COULD BE CONDENSED DOWN TO A FRACTION OF ITS SIZE AND INCLUDE ONLY PERTINENT INFORMATION. BUT THEN THE COMUNITY AND COMERADERY OF FELLOW COLLECTORS WOULD BE REMOVED FROM THE FORMULA WHICH WOULD BE A GREAT LOSS.
IT IS WHAT IT IS :D
AFTER ALL THE FORUM IS TO LEARN AND SHARE AND PRESERVE KNOWLEGE AND HAVE A BIT OF FUN IN THE DOING. :D

Jens Nordlunde 27th April 2012 04:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Sorry, maybe I was a bit harsh in my reply, but it can sometimes be a bit tiring to see the same questions being asked again and again, and the one asking the question, of course, hope for/expects an answer to the question.

When using the search button a lot of the more general questions can be avoided, as the answers mostly can be found in earlier posts.

Attached are details of two pattern-welded blades. It is obvious that an artist made one of the blades, and that the other one was made by someone with lesser skill.

I know the rule is, not to show details alone but also to show the whole weapon, as I have done so before I hope I will be excused for only showing the details.