Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Otoman flintlock? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25458)

aspalathos 2nd December 2019 12:12 PM

Otoman flintlock?

10 Attachment(s)
Hey I have this pistol,what do you think is it Otoman? Please for your opinion. There is no brass,only iron and some white metall. Trigger guard is also iron .

Cthulhu 24th December 2019 02:02 AM

Based on initial impression and some image searches, I'd put this as Italian Baroque period in style.
If you search for Flintlock alla Fiorentina, you see similar stuff.

What does it say on the trigger guard? I see an M but I can't read the rest.

corrado26 24th December 2019 08:20 AM

This should be a shortened Brescia made pistol ca. 1800 for the Ottoman market.
corrado26

Drabant1701 24th December 2019 10:15 AM

There seem to be inlay in form of Dhul-Fiqar on the stock indicating Kosovo origin :shrug:

rickystl 24th December 2019 09:15 PM

Hello. Nice looking pistol. I've always favored the all-iron mounted pistols over the all-brass or brass/iron combinations. I just find them attractive, especially with dark stained stocks such as this example. It does indeed appear that the barrel has been shortened. Probably sometime in the past possible due to muzzle damage.
These pistols are commonly known by collectors as Ottoman/Balkan Kubur (horse) pistols. And your's is very typical of the style. They are usually unmarked, with the decoration, engraving, etc. done in a generic fashion so as to appeal to a wide range of prospects. There peak of popularity was during the first half of the 19th Century. Judging by the quantity of examples still available today, these pistols must have been made by the thousands during the period. Probably made at one of the many gun making centers in the Balkans. But there were also many made as complete guns and decorated for the local market and exported from Europe.
Your pistol could have been in use almost anywhere in the Ottoman Empire. Again, nice piece with the all-iron mounts.

Rick

Fernando K 24th December 2019 09:27 PM

Hi

In my opinion, it is a reconstruction, with different pieces. The cylinder head knob, of a different material (bronze?) From the iron of the other fittings, profusely decorated with chiseled, distinct from the simple decoration of the other pieces, and of the engraved barrel

aspalathos 26th December 2019 12:32 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cthulhu
Based on initial impression and some image searches, I'd put this as Italian Baroque period in style.
If you search for Flintlock alla Fiorentina, you see similar stuff.

What does it say on the trigger guard? I see an M but I can't read the rest.

Hey tnx for your answer. Well I can read it very well. Here is better pics

Kubur 30th December 2019 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drabant1701
There seem to be inlay in form of Dhul-Fiqar on the stock indicating Kosovo origin :shrug:

Well done!
Balkans for sure, Kosovo I don't know.
As said, it's an Italian pistol for the Ottoman market.
You can't read the inscription as it is a pseudo inscription MIIIIIIIII...
:shrug:

aspalathos 1st January 2020 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kubur
Well done!
Balkans for sure, Kosovo I don't know.
As said, it's an Italian pistol for the Ottoman market.
You can't read the inscription as it is a pseudo inscription MIIIIIIIII...
:shrug:

Hey Happy New Year:) Tnx for your answer . I love those items but dont know much about them. I have few of them so I would like to get some info about others.Thanks to all for help