Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Early Dharia for Comment (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16484)

kahnjar1 8th December 2012 02:19 AM

Early Dharia for Comment

4 Attachment(s)
Have just added this to the collection. A nice big 19th c Dharia from Asir Hijaz region of the Arabian Peninsula. Brass mounts with nice age patina, but sadly the scabbard covering is long gone.

Overall length is 23" (585mm) The 16 1/2" (420mm) blade is of diamond section and is 3.5mm thick at the hilt. There is a pronounced ridge beginning approx 5" down, and running to the blade tip.

Can someone please tell me what the scabbard covering is likely to have been......leather??..........material of some sort??

Stu

Dom 8th December 2012 10:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Can someone please tell me what the scabbard covering is likely to have been......leather??..........material of some sort??

Hi Stu
the case arose for me ;)
but the surface was less
I searched stores selling second hand :p
woman bag in lamb skin ... used, to have the benefit of patina
for less than a dollar I found my happiness :D
pictured here the result
now it true that your "Dharia" has a lightly different look
I'm agree with you, to try to restore it in the spirit ;)
all the best

à +

Dom

A.alnakkas 8th December 2012 11:00 AM

Nice one Stu. I dont see much of this style it seems to predate the silver ones. I think you should use some thin leather as Dom suggested.

kahnjar1 8th December 2012 07:54 PM

Bonjour Dom and Salaams Lofty. Thank you both.
The Dharia shown by Dom is I think later in age than the brass mounted one that I have. I was hoping that someone had one of these brass mounted ones in their collection with the scabbard covering intact.
Plenty of time yet to get the correct answer and I do want to restore this to it's original state if possible.
Stu

Lew 9th December 2012 02:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey Stu

Very nice find. Here is one that I picked up in 2011. Brass/bronze over iron.

kahnjar1 9th December 2012 04:10 AM

Hi Lew,
Now that's about the same vintage I would say. Is that black leather on the scabbard?
Nice piece, and there don't seem to be many this early about, certainly not up for sale anyway...........
Stu

Lew 9th December 2012 04:40 PM

Black leather? Yes :).

Atlantia 9th December 2012 05:25 PM

Hi Stu,

I'd say that the standard red/burgandy thin leather (I guess the originals are goat skin?) with some minor tooling.
Are there any traces of leather left where it's pulled away from the glue?

kahnjar1 10th December 2012 03:01 AM

Thanks Lew.
Hello Gene....I had considered dull red leather as it sets off the brass extremely well. Probably will go that way rather than black.
No remnants of the original left.
Stu