Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   For Comment #4 (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24859)

A. G. Maisey 13th April 2019 02:11 AM

For Comment #4

2 Attachment(s)
Another one.

Some damage, but supposedly it left Jawa before 1850.

David 13th April 2019 02:29 AM

Thanks for posting Alan. I find myself quite smitten with this one.

JustYS 13th April 2019 03:12 AM

Hi Alan,

What character is on the hilt? Is it a wayang character?
Looks very nice...

I know you have obligations of not showing the blade, but could you please tell us more about the blade? Dhapur? Pamor?

Thank you,

YS

jagabuwana 13th April 2019 04:13 AM

Very nice. The proportions are so pleasing to the eye (to this beholder anyway :) ). Would I be right in saying that these are North Coast style dressings?

A. G. Maisey 13th April 2019 07:03 AM

YS, at the moment I'm not at home, I'm in Solo, I have not handled this keris in probably 3 or four years, my memory is simply not good enough to permit me to answer your questions.

Yes Jaga, I believe most people would place this keris as Ceribon.

Jean 13th April 2019 08:54 AM

According to the booklet "Keris dan senjata pusaka bahari" which seems well documented and written by experienced collectors, this wrongko would be locally called Perahu Labuh "ship at anchor" and generally attributed to Cirebon indeed.
And I will let Alan identify the figure on the hilt ;)
Regards

David 13th April 2019 05:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean
And I will let Alan identify the figure on the hilt ;)

Well, Alan may well correct me :) , but i would refer to this hilt as a buta form. Some people call them raksasa. I have a couple of recently carved examples of this guy without the selut.
BTW Alan, hard to tell just from photos. Is this selut brass or silver or... ?

A. G. Maisey 14th April 2019 12:21 AM

David, I'm not at home, I do not have access to this keris and my memory is not good enough to give any clarification about it that we cannot see in the photo.

The photos were taken a few years back, and that might have been the last time I handled this keris.

I think that the selut & mendak are perhaps bronze.

Best I can do is give you a rain check for about a month's time.

David 15th April 2019 05:21 PM

No worries Alan. Just a curiosity on my part. Bronze seems a good possibility. Given the yellowish tint to the metal i didn't really think it was silver, but sometimes such colours are a factor of the light and color balance so i never assume without asking if the colors are correct.

Jean 15th April 2019 06:22 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Some similar yet different styles of wrongkos from the same area (some old and some recent).
Regards

Bjorn 18th April 2019 08:23 PM

Beautiful, rustic piece. Love the contrast between the wrongko and hulu.
Wonderful selut too. I wouldn't be surprised if the wilah itself is less impressive. I rarely see keris attributed to Ceribon and its surroundings with impressive wilah.