Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Philippine dagger? Age? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17720)

Sajen 17th October 2013 08:47 PM

Philippine dagger? Age?

8 Attachment(s)
Just have won this dagger by epray, I think it's from the Philippines and could be a First Republic dagger but I am very very unsure so I would like to read your thoughts on this one.

Battara 18th October 2013 01:27 AM

Hi Sajen,

I saw this. By the patina, type of carving on scabbard and hilt, I was thinking that it is perhaps as early as 1930s through WWII and from Luzon.

Interesting piece.

Robert 18th October 2013 02:37 AM

Hello Detlef, I agree with Jose on dating this. I'm not sure but looking at the only photo that shows a very small section of the opposite side of the blade (third from the top) it looks like it could be flat. Can you tell if it is or not? The quality of the file work on the guard and hilt is not as nice as I would expect to see on older pieces. The blade its self looks to be very well executed though and it could be that someone (in the time frame mentioned) had given an older blade a new life. All in all, a nice dagger and good addition to your collection. My congratulations.

Best,
Robert

Spunjer 18th October 2013 03:45 AM

pretty cool dagger, detlef!
this is from around WW2. this particular type is colloquially known as tres kantos, literally it means three corners, from the way the sides of the blade is configured. good catch!!!

Sajen 18th October 2013 07:02 PM

Thank all three for dating the dagger and an extra thank to Spunjer for giving it a name. What I like is the (whale ?) bone grip.
Robert you are correct, the blade is flat on the other side.

Regards,

Detlef

carlos 18th October 2013 07:52 PM

Congratulations !! Is a good piece, I saw the auction but finally I didn, t bid, Im happy to see you are the new owner.
Thanks
Carlos

Battara 18th October 2013 08:37 PM

No whale bone, just bone..........

Sajen 19th October 2013 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlos
Congratulations !! Is a good piece, I saw the auction but finally I didn, t bid, Im happy to see you are the new owner.
Thanks
Carlos

Thank you Carlos! :)

Sajen 19th October 2013 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara
No whale bone, just bone..........

I think you are correct by this! ;)

Sajen 25th November 2013 03:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Have received the dagger and have given it some maintenance, the blade is still very sharp, get two small cuts. The blade is indeed well worked and the dagger have a good balance.
Here some pictures.