Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ulwar and its Art Treasures (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20588)

Jens Nordlunde 12th October 2015 01:27 PM

Ulwar and its Art Treasures

In Ulwar and its Art Treasurers Hendley writes, in the text to a sword shown on plate XXXIII and XXXV. Published in 1888.
"Total cost of the sword was Rs. 8000, the blade Rs. 7600 and the hilt Rs. 400." I thought something must be wrong, as all the other swords he had referred to did not cost that much. The total price must have been about Rs. 1000. Total price Rs. 1000, blade Rs. 600 and hilt Rs. 400 – this would fit with the other prices he had given.
This does not mean that the rulers did not have swords costing Rs. 8000 or 10000 when studded with gems - but from the look at it it was too obvious that Rs. 8000 was too much.

My point is, that even authors living in India at the time these weapons were made and used, can have made mistakes, and if later authors copy/quote the text, without trying to check it as well as possible. This author will start the journey of an error. If an error is repeated enough times - we all know how it ends.
With this said - try once more to say - the written word is sharper than a sword :-).
Jens

Jim McDougall 12th October 2015 10:23 PM

George Cameron Stone wrote this in his venerable volume in 1934, which still serves as the backbone of most collectors of arms:

"...as with other subjects the pioneer writers made many mistakes, most of which have been corrected by those who came later; but many have been copied and reprinted as though proved, Much has been published about arms and armour that is very contradictory. Not only do different writers disagree with each other, but the frequently disagree with themselves and call the same things by different names, and different things by the same one. ".

Stone undertook a huge challenge in compiling his vastly comprehensive volume, but clearly understood that his work would not resolve many of these dilemmas, but would serve as a benchmark which would note the status quo on many of them. He wrote:
"...I am fully aware that this book is far from complete or perfect, but I trust that it may be an incentive to some one better qualified than I to write another on similar lines that will give more accurate information".

This is the kind of scholar Jens is, and what he is describing in his inimitable sage words.

Jens Nordlunde 13th October 2015 02:30 PM

Jim,
Thank you for the kind words.
Stone gave us a fantastic book (my first book on arms), and I feel sure that any of us will accept that making such a book, cant be dont without any errors.
Jens