Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Omani Spear. (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17308)

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 3rd June 2013 02:51 PM

The Omani Spear.

1 Attachment(s)
Salaams All, Here is my only reference to Omani Spears for Forum Library.

FROM PAGE 453 "Richardson and Dorr" The Craft Herritage of Oman ~

ar rumh meaning "the spear" It may be noted that Rumh was derived from Roman, and a name for long leaf or long bladed grass...to describe the spear ..and that when gunpowder weapons arrived the long barrelled abu futtilla also became known as Rumhi.. a historical tie back to the days of the spear.

Quote "The exhibit has iron blades with wooden shafts. Length of blade angled lower blade 38 cm on a 160 cm wooden shaft, flat blade above 48cm on a 261 cm wooden shaft". Unquote.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

colin henshaw 3rd June 2013 03:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my contribution, but its not from Oman - from elsewhere in Arabia ??

BANTARU 4th June 2013 12:42 AM

Salaam Wajah,

wow thats a stunning pic! Thnx!

The spear would have been ideal for hunting oryx and rim on horseback, on the flat gravel plains, where they dwelt, back in the pre-gunpowder days.

CharlesS 4th June 2013 09:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This one is similar I believe.

kahnjar1 5th June 2013 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams All, Here is my only reference to Omani Spears for Forum Library.

FROM PAGE 453 "Richardson and Dorr" The Craft Herritage of Oman ~

ar rumh meaning "the spear" It may be noted that Rumh was derived from Roman, and a name for long leaf or long bladed grass...to describe the spear ..and that when gunpowder weapons arrived the long barrelled abu futtilla also became known as Rumhi.. a historical tie back to the days of the spear.

Quote "The exhibit has iron blades with wooden shafts. Length of blade angled lower blade 38 cm on a 160 cm wooden shaft, flat blade above 48cm on a 261 cm wooden shaft". Unquote.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Re last para above, 160cm maybe a spear but 261cm would almost certainly not be a spear but would be a lance. The two pics shown also depict lances IMHO.

Richard G 7th June 2013 12:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture from the Van der Meulen's "Aden to the Hadhramaut" 1939.
Regards
Richard

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 7th June 2013 04:11 PM

The Spear as a Badge of Office.

Salaams Richard G ... This is probably the first and only example of a spear used in the badge of office role in Arabia... That marking the carrier Sheikh Abdullah as the local chief. :shrug:

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

BANTARU 8th June 2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams Richard G ... This is probably the first and only example of a spear used in the badge of office role in Arabia... That marking the carrier Sheikh Abdullah as the local chief. :shrug:

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

any idea which tribe?

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 8th June 2013 05:17 PM

Tribal name ~ You would need to look at Wadi Hatib and likely in the area of Jabir... Yemen.

BANTARU 8th June 2013 07:23 PM

ok thnx. I think this is around Lahij. The Tribe of Yafa live there. (upper & lower Yafa). They are bare-chested tribesmen and are almost the same as pre-Islamic times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PTaSJvtyLQ

colin henshaw 9th June 2013 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard G
Here is a picture from the Van der Meulen's "Aden to the Hadhramaut" 1939.
Regards
Richard

Fascinating image - thanks for posting...

Richard G 10th June 2013 05:31 PM

This Wadi Hatib is apparently south of Jabir on the road from Lawdar in Abyan province of the Yemen. Van Meulen describes him as Sheik of the Fat-han (unfortunately nothing in Arabic) who were farmers.
He relates that the Sheik and his attendants violently harangued him and his companions, thinking they were from the "Hukuma", for not keeping proper law and order, and then demanded 50 dollars for free passage. He was reluctant to be photographed, but his companions were quite keen and persuaded him. I think you can see this from the photograph. Van Meulen remarks that throughout, he kept a firm grip on his spear.
Regards
Richard

BANTARU 11th June 2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard G
He was reluctant to be photographed, but his companions were quite keen and persuaded him. I think you can see this from the photograph. Van Meulen remarks that throughout, he kept a firm grip on his spear.
Regards
Richard

hahahahaha that is evident. just look at his companions smile! :D