Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   English sword model 1796 (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13895)

Alexander 7th June 2011 02:11 PM

English sword model 1796

3 Attachment(s)
Dear friends! I want to ask your opinion on a sword of 1796.
1. Me the detailed information on brand HARVEY interests.
2. On a sheath date 1810, what it means? Figures 222 (number of a sheath)? And a star? Respect, Alexander.

Atlantia 7th June 2011 02:16 PM

Hi Alexander

Could the makers name read 'HADLEY'? It doesn't look like 'HARVEY' to me.

Edit: Thomas Hadley & Sons of Birmingham would seem to have the right date range, but I'm not familiar with how their swords were marked so can't say for sure if this is one.
Lovely sword BTW.

Edit 2: Just having a 'bing' and came up with this from a thread over at SFI about a 1796 LC made by HADLEY:

"Mr De Witt Bailey has written a very interesting book “British Board of Ordnance Small Arms Contractors 1689-1840”. It is based on the BO Bill Book or treasurer’s ledger.

Thomas Hadley from Birmingham was recorded as barrels, locks, bayonets, swords and rammers provider with dates: June 1776 – August 1781; May 1804 – March 1818; October – November 1823 and final date of appearance on March 1828."

Best
Gene

Atlantia 7th June 2011 02:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Spine stamp picture of the aforementioned HADLEY 1796LC:

Atlantia 7th June 2011 02:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Spine marking on a British 1804 cutlass:

fernando 7th June 2011 03:21 PM

Very nice sword, Alexander !

Atlantia 7th June 2011 05:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a digital reconstruction of the spine markings on your sword as HADLEY:

katana 7th June 2011 06:17 PM

Nice sword Alex :cool: one of my favourite patterns.

'Nando....I do hope your new avatar picture is not a self portrait, or is it.......interesting oriental hair style ....but you seem to have lost an eye :D

All the best
David

fernando 7th June 2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katana
... 'Nando....I do hope your new avatar picture is not a self portrait, or is it.......interesting oriental hair style ....but you seem to have lost an eye :D ...

Ah, Ah, Ah ... Definitely this is not British humour :eek: .
Why don't you lurk HERE ?

katana 7th June 2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fernando
Ah, Ah, Ah ... Definitely this is not British humour :eek: .
Why don't you lurk HERE ?

Hi 'Nando,
sorry, I didn't mean to offend :( .......missed that thread :o .

All the best
David

fernando 7th June 2011 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katana
... I didn't mean to offend ...

Offend ??? now, this is British humour :eek: :eek: :eek: .
Cherry u luv :cool:
... i adored your post :eek:

Jim McDougall 7th June 2011 08:27 PM

Beautifully done Gene!!!! and nicely presented. The M1796 is truly one of the most fascinating British cavalry sabres and besides being the first officially recognized pattern, actually ended up being used by many countries. It was so superbly regarded as the quintessant sabre that it became the M1811 Prussian cavalry sabre 'Blucher sabre'.
I dont think Ive ever seen a Harvey M1796 and Samuel Harvey worked mostly c.1750s into the 80s. His mark was placed on the blade and typically the 'running wolf' with his initials SH.

Alexander, yet another amazing British sword! Congratulations.

All best regards,
Jim

Atlantia 7th June 2011 08:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Beautifully done Gene!!!! and nicely presented. The M1796 is truly one of the most fascinating British cavalry sabres and besides being the first officially recognized pattern, actually ended up being used by many countries. It was so superbly regarded as the quintessant sabre that it became the M1811 Prussian cavalry sabre 'Blucher sabre'.
I dont think Ive ever seen a Harvey M1796 and Samuel Harvey worked mostly c.1750s into the 80s. His mark was placed on the blade and typically the 'running wolf' with his initials SH.

Alexander, yet another amazing British sword! Congratulations.

All best regards,
Jim

Thank you very much Jim. :D
The 1796 really is one of 'those' swords isn't it?
The 'peacemaker' of Sabres.

I'm glad you agree with my thoughts on the maker.
I had some free time this afternoon (as you can see).
Here's a composite pic for Alexander, so if he wants he can save it as one file:

Alexander 8th June 2011 06:53 PM

Dear friends. Thanks for comments!
Gene separate thanks for reconstruction of a brand and a photo! I necessarily will use them.
Respect, Alexander.

Atlantia 8th June 2011 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexander
Dear friends. Thanks for comments!
Gene separate thanks for reconstruction of a brand and a photo! I necessarily will use them.
Respect, Alexander.

Alexander,

You are very welcome my friend.

Best Regards
Gene