Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is this Wootz Steel? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13328)

AkaaliSingh 12th February 2011 08:49 PM

Is this Wootz Steel?

Hey all this is my first topic... I was wondering i have cleaned a Indo Persian Khanda i have.... and this pattern showed , im unsure if it is wootz or just the aging pattana.

any comments? thanks

AkaaliSingh 12th February 2011 09:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
pictures

Robert 12th February 2011 10:22 PM

Hello AkaaliSingh and welcome to the forum. Apparently your pictures didn't come through. You might want to try to upload them again.

Robert

I must have been typing this as you were posting your pictures.:o

Henk 13th February 2011 11:31 AM

Welcome to the forum.

Imho it is a pitted surface caused by the rust. Not patina and wootz neither. Maybe you can show us the whole piece.

Lew 13th February 2011 12:47 PM

All I see is pitting. There is no discernible wootz pattern as far as I can tell.

Gavin Nugent 13th February 2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkaaliSingh
Hey all this is my first topic... I was wondering i have cleaned a Indo Persian Khanda i have.... and this pattern showed , im unsure if it is wootz or just the aging pattana.

any comments? thanks

Welcome,

It would be interesting to view this Khanda as the blade by design is not typical for a Khanda.
Whilst I doubt there is a Wootz pattern to this blade by design, Wootz does not always show and often needs chemical attention to show through old patina.

Gav

ALEX 14th February 2011 08:11 AM

Gav is very correct. The blade needs to be etched (treated with a mild acidic solution) to reveal any pattern. The patina with pitting combination often creates an "illusion" of pattern. This particular blade does not show any. Give it a try, and good luck.

AkaaliSingh 15th February 2011 08:15 AM

thanks for the replys! that what i thought aswel, is their any way of geting rid of the pitting other than sanding?

AkaaliSingh 15th February 2011 08:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
full image ( the wavey bit is apart of a spear and not apart of the khanda lol) sorry couldn't get a new picture for now.

Gavin Nugent 15th February 2011 01:26 PM

elbow grease

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkaaliSingh
thanks for the replys! that what i thought aswel, is their any way of geting rid of the pitting other than sanding?

Nothing but good old fashioned elbow grease will get rid of pitting, but really, don't worry about it, it is after all an old warrior and and an old warrior need to show his age gracefully.

Gav

Atlantia 15th February 2011 02:25 PM

Wow, looks great, whats going on with that blade? Close-ups needed ;)